At what age can kids take a bath by themselves?

I really don't remember. My grandson is 4 1/2 and he let me stay in the bathroom for awhile but then he kicked me out. I sat outside the bathroom door. Is he old enough to bathe alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Bath bath or shower? I barely leave my 6 year old alone in the shower, and if any of them are in the bath, I don't leave the bathroom - my oldest is almost 8 and my youngest is 2.5.
    Anonymous

• my 3.5 showers alone. I just keep the bathroom door open and I can hear him from every room in my apt (he sings in the shower). He started bathing by himself right around the age of 3, but once again I kept the bathroom door open and could see him while I did things like fold laundry or cooked dinner. When he bathes he's never out of my eyeshot and when he showers he's never out of earshot even though I no longer sit in the bathroom with him. I feel personally at 4.5 he's fine to bathe/shower on his own. I babysat a family of 4 children the youngest 4 years old and they all bathed independently, they actually got very offended if anyone walked in. I also use to watch my sister and little cousin and they too bathed completely independently at 4
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• can he get himself clean? is the bathroom child safe ( no razors, or medicine he can get into) If its a bath I would say NO because he could drown, yes drown. A shower maybe about 6 yr old. I would say a 4 1/2 year old is too young to be alone. too much dangers. I still supervise my 6 yr, & 2 yr old when taking a bath, but sometimes my 6 yr takes a shower alone ( if she wants privacy) maybe there is a man who can supervise this little guy & he would feel more comfy.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• wow, seriously, 6? huh. i must be earning the worst mom of the year award. mine have always liked showers, so the do shower alone... all but the baby, who is 2. the others are 4 & 8. dd started taking showers alone when she was 4ish?

out of curiosity, why would having someone of the same gender watching, make a child more comfortable in the bath if they're normal, well adjusted, and simply want privacy. i am almost offended by the insinuation that they should be uncomfortable nude, in the presence of the opposite sex. i think its just the opposite, they need to learn that there is nothing wrong with being naked. oh well, my opinions are lost here anyway.

yeah, i wouldn't leave a baby alone in the bath while you go vacuum the house, but a kiddo, while you're keeping watch.. its your call.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Thanks ladies, I didn't feel comfortable leaving him alone. He has no problem with the gender thing. I dry him off after his bath and there are no problems. I think he just wants to be a "big" boy. I think I'll stay outside the door for awhile weather he showers or bathes. Thank you all for your input.
    Anonymous

• I let my 4 year old take a bath "alone", as in I am not in sight but am sitting in the hall with the door open. She also knows she is suppose to talk to me the WHOLE time she is in there or at least be talking to herself. If she gets quiet for more than 10 seconds I walk in.
    MamaMay007

Answer by MamaMay007 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• i let my 4 year old bathe alone, i stay on the same floor as her so i can hear her and talk to her, and i don't leave the room if she is showering.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:11 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• 3 years old. after being clean i can hear her (its an apt) so i let her splash and sing bubble songs
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I let mine bathe themselfs at age 5. but I stayed close by incase either of them needed me. and I also went up to check on them both.once in A WHILE JUST TO MAKE SURE THINGS WERE OKAY.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• DD is 3 1/2 and DS is 1. We do not leave our son alone, ever. Our will be alone in there while we grab towels from the hall, or run to get lotion but otherwise we are in there.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:15 AM on Oct. 23, 2009