animal rights

If this post twice I apologize. I just posted it and don't see it.

The life of a dog or cat, does it rank the same importance to God?

If our dog is pregnant it will cost lest to have her spayed. The puppies will be killed in the process. I am not sure why it would be cheaper but it seems cruel to have her get pregnant just to kill the puppies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would have moral issues with that. Keep a close close eye on her (to save up some extra cash) and look into low cost spay and neuter clinics in your area.
    I've always been told that God doesn't put the same importance on animals, and regaurdless of how I feel about it, creating any life with the express purpose of destorying it makes me queasy.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• OOoohhh! Pregnant dogs and dogs in heat (same for cats) require more extensive surgery for spaying. Sometimes they require transfusions. These procedures are sometimes double the cost. This is a major surgery when the dog is in this condition. Recovery is longer too. There is more opportunity for infection and pain. I think someone got you bad info on this.

The hormone changes the dog will go through will cause her tremendous distress. Some dogs who miscarry or have abortions become obsessive about having babies. They will place their toys near their bellies as if to nurse. They experience the loss bio-chemically and instinctually. I'm sure you are aware of your dog's emotional state as well.

Is it humane to put the mommy dog through that?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It costs more to spay a pregnant animal here, too. Plus the additional trauma you'd be causing this dog that I presume you care about. Contact your local animal shelter and ask if they offer Trade-for-Services. Here (SC) the local shelter pays $6.50 an hour in credit toward your pet's surgery for you working at the shelter. My kids and I have done this three different times (they could only work if I stayed with them, but their work counted in the credits) and have spayed, neutered and microchipped a total of 12 animals (they wanted to do the animals at their dad's, too, because he refused.)

Millions of people irresponsibly allow their pets to breed just for those babies to be killed in shelters simply because there are not enough homes as it is. At least if these bred-to-die puppies are aborted, they won't be standing in cells hoping to be adopted before they are put down instead, and tossed in a dumpster in a pile.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I would start now by trying to find good homes for this litter of pups on the way, and in the meanwhile check for low cost spay/neuter programs in your area. Try to find a way to save up some extra money for her surgery in the meantime.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• No the life of an animal isn't of the same value as a human's life, to God. But the life or welfare of an animal is not of little value either. Animals are a gift from God. This article might help you make your own decision on what is best for you and your dog right now: http://www.watchtower.org/e/20040222a/article_01.htm
    Best wishes with whatever you decide. xxx

Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 8:55 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Here it costs more to spay a dog in heat. I know when we took a dog we had in to be spayed, we told the vet she was in heat. The vet asked us if we still wanted to spay her if there were puppies involved. We said no. In this particular case, the dog wasn't pregnant, so we spayed her and ended up paying more for the procedure. Now we have two female dogs that need to be spayed. You better believe we're going to get the procedure done before they go into heat.
    Jewelzgirl

Answer by Jewelzgirl at 12:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I personally think it's horrible of you if you kill those puppies. JMO
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2009