what is the difference between the Anglican Church and the Catholic church?

I am very interested in this new information going on right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Anglican Church (the Church of England or the Episcopal Church) is not headed by the Pope. Otherwise, it is very much like the Catholic church. Services are all in English, very little if any Latin is used. The minister is called "Father" just as a priest, but they marry.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• **grin** Some people refer to Anglicanism as "Catholic Lite."

I was raised Catholic and have been attending an Episcopal church in my neighborhood. Service and creed-wise, they're not very different.

From what little I've learned so far: Women and gays may be part of the clergy. Abortion is considered on a case-by-case basis.

I don't know enough yet to know more, but I've been attending this new church for two months and feel much more comfortable than I have in many other churches.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• The Anglican church was formed when one of the English kings wanted to divorce, since religion and government were so intertwined this was a big problem. So he formed a new church. As I understand it they are light on the praying to saints, light on the praying to or through Mary. The Episcopal church was the American branch of the Anglican church. However, the Episcopalian church has become much more liberal and is now ordaining women and openly gay men and women. So several churches here have gone back under the Anglican church, which as far as I know has not started any of the more liberal practices. The Catholic church in an effort to attract those who want an even more conservative belief system have made it easy for Anglicans and Episcopalians to convert.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• As teamquinn pointed out the division between Anglican and Catholic was more political then theological - so there are not a lot of differences between the two. There is a theological difference between transubstantion (Catholic) and consubstation (Anglican) - but they both close to the believe that Christ is actually present in the Eucharist during communion. Anglicans don't accept the authority of the pope, so varous Anglican branches have become more and more liberal over time (allowing birth control, women priests and the like.) More conservative Anglican churches are very similar to Catholic churches.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2009