Okay moms I need some help here, painful redness...

Lately my son is having horrible redness and very painful irritation after passing bowls. I'm not sure what is causing this. He screams if I try to apply desitin. He is in so much pain and I can't let him run naked, he pees every 15 minutes! Oatmeal baths seem to help him feel better and calm the pain but what can I put in his diaper that will speed up the healing process? I've tried A&D ointment, he doesn't mind it but it's not improving things.

tresa2steppin

Asked by tresa2steppin at 9:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe it's a fungal infection and doc needs to prescribe something like municiprin (sp) my friend's daughter got prescribed that and it worked well. I wouldn't put a diaper on him even if he does pee because it's trapping the air inside and keeping the rash moist. Put some undies or loose shorts on him so he doesn't spray the couch though, lol.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 9:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• All 3 of my boys developed a "yeast" rash at some point.....it is really nasty red and looks HORRIBLE! I would ask the doctor if I were you.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 9:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Definitely talk to the doctor about a possible yeast infection. And try using cloth diapers or underwear with a cover instead of disposable diapers; I've heard many many times that it helps a lot for kids with bad/recurring diaper rashes. It may also get potty training kick-started, too.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• mix aquaphor and white cream (can't remember name) it's the active ingredient in most diaper creams, and vaseline, coat heavily, and clean him well at every dirty diaper but don't have to wipe off all cream just pile more on, thats what our doc said and it worked like a charm, his was so red and bad it bled, and he screamed while we were changing him, ohh zinc oxide from a pharmacist is what it is, mix mostly zinc oxide with @ half or less aquphar and pile vaseline on top.
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• All great advice posted above. Also, keep and eye on what he is eating. Anything citrus, or berries or anything else acidic will make his bowel movements more acidic as well, causing them to burn his poor little tush. Hope he feels better.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I had this problem with my son, and the doc told me it was a fungal infection. He had me buy Clotrimazole (that's the generic name, I think the brand name is Lotrimin?) - it's the stuff you use for athlete's foot (or ringworm, which is a fungus too). You do not need a prescription, it is over the counter. It does not say anything about using it on a baby's bottom on the package, but don't worry, it's safe (and works wonders). Make sure it is 1% of the active ingredient (clotrimazole), and apply a VERY thin layer first, then coat HEAVILY with desitin. If you don't see improvement within 48 hours or so, then take him to the doctor. Whenever my son gets a bad rash that won't clear up in 24 hours now, I use the clotrimazole, and it works like magic, no more rash in about 24 hours. (My son seems to be prone to these fungal things.)
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 1:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• aquaphor. It acts as a barrier. I also used the Clotrimazole for yeast rashes. Works great. No matter what you put on, if he is raw, it will hurt. But it will get better. Just put it on anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Yup, I actually had to buy the Lotrimin for my son too. It seemed to make it worse the first couple of changes, but overnight it worked. The package says "JOCK ITCH" in huge letters on the front - I looked like a complete idiot trying to tell the teenage cashier that I was buying it for a 1 yr old!haha I remember joking that I was going to make him buy me tampons when he was old enough to be embarrassed about it! LOL I think i would have the Dr look first though, because if it is not fungal, it could make it worse. Best of luck to you.
    krysten78

Answer by krysten78 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2009