Is 3 months too soon to start babyfood?

My 3 mnth old going on 4 months love baby food, but after like 4 hours he screams his head off and cries, I don't know if its because his tummy can't handle it or because he wants more. he refuses his formula after eating baby food and I don't know if its because it tastes nasty compared to baby food or because his tummys hurting. I know that they say to start them at 6 months but I breastfed my first and at 3 months he was starving and I fed him baby foods and he was fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Is he wanting more baby food or is it hurting his tummy? I can't figure it out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would guess his tummy is hurting. I started at about 5 mths but did let him try at 4. I personally think that 3 is too soon. Cereal maybe fine ....I'd ask your doctor because I wouldn't want baby hurting. Give some Mylicon to him and don't give anymore food til you talk to doc. He'll take a bottle if there's nothing else for him to eat so don't worry about him starving if you don't give baby food to him. Just make sure you call the doc (I'd call now because you don't want him to be hurting something could be wrong).
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 9:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Give him the bottle before the food. Formula/breastmilk should be the main source of nutrition for the first year, so that should come first. If he's still hungry after the bottle, give him another bottle. Three months is definitely too early; his digestive tract isn't developed enough to handle solids and it could cause serious problems (it might not, and it doesn't always, but it could).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• He probably isnt ready. I tried a bit of cereal fir my 3 month old and she was fussy the next day. They dont have the enzymmes to break it down yet. Really, they need breastmilk or formula anyway. If we try to push food on them too early, thety could develop allergies that can be quite detrimental.
    Jennibug

Answer by Jennibug at 10:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My son started baby food at 2 months. He was bottle feeding every 2-3 hours and drinking at least 4 oz each time. We gave him the bottle as soon as he showed signs of being hungry but as soon as he swallowed the formula you could hear it hit his tummy. We would give him a little baby food, less than a jar at a time and then the bottle. Babies are so different, its hard to tell. As long as your doing what works best for your baby, and not just because you want him to be pushing milestones, it shouldn't be a problem.
    proudmama511

Answer by proudmama511 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• AHHH!!! IT DEPENDS ON THE MOM!!! EACH CHILDS MOMO KNOW THEM BEST.. IF YOU GAVE HIM BABY FOOD IS BC YOU KNOW HE IS READY FOR IT... EVERYONE IS DIFERENT AND WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT VIEWS OF THIS.. MY SON IS 2 MONTHS HE TAKES BREAST MILK, FORMULA, BABY FOOD (MIXED WITH WATER), apple juice.(nosugar, more water than juice.) rice/cereal///

he is not overweigth he is very healthy.. he didnt even get sick after his shots.. he is very active and very alert.. he already smiles to the fullest. he looks and eg heads up like a 3 months old baby/// he does things very advance to be just 2 months..

he also had or has acid refluxes thats what made me give him all this things.. and he loves them.. he loves my breast milk the most.. and drinks my breast milk with rice/ceral to sleep and he sleeps 8 hours... soooit all depends on the mom....
    DQS

Answer by DQS at 3:17 AM on Oct. 23, 2009