What is your religion/belief system? And do you get offended when you see it put down or attacked on here?

I am asking because there were comments on a previous question stating that "Pagans get their panties in a wad when attacked." As if they didn't have the right to be upset that someone were attacking their beliefs... So, I ask, do you get offended when your beliefs are attacked?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think what offends more than anything isn't what the attacker believes but the fact that she is misleading others. If you choose to be ignorant of the truth of my beliefs, that's one thing. But to post something that is an outward attack or lie misleads others that may truly want information.

A perfect example was a post I saw a few weeks ago. A mom was asking about the beliefs of JWs. And I would say out of 75 answers 68 of them were simply attacks against JWs or simply said "JW's are a cult." This woman truly wanted answers and instead she was fed garbage that may have stopped her search. Which I feel is sad. To mislead someone who is genuinely looking is just horrid. Who are you to know what their path should be? And why would you ever take steps to try to stop them from finding it. By attacking another belief system, that's just what you do!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• There is a difference between being questioned about my beliefs, with a sincere attempt to learn; and simply attacking my beliefs.
    CLEARLY there is a difference, and yes it upsets me when it is the latter.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Personally, I get offended when I see ANYONES religion attacked... I just see no reason for it. But, that said, I also know the difference between attacking and questioning. I see nothing wrong with questioning, in fact I think more people should question not only the beliefs of others, in order to educate themselves, but also question themselves and their own beliefs much more than they do. However, attacking, belittling or putting down the beliefs of others is just stupid! It's like the fat kid bully that beats on other fat kids because he hates himself... By attacking others you simply show how weak your own faith is.

So, yes, I do get offended when my beliefs are attacked. I also get offended when the beliefs of others are attacked. And just for arguments sake, I am pagan.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Yes, I get offended when my beliefs are attacked. Anyone would be crazy not to.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I am Catholic. I used to get upset but after about a year of thinking I have learned to ignore it. I have seen Christians told they have the panties in a bunch or have blinders on as well. I chalk it up to the internet and try not to give people the power to upset me.
    Anonymous

• No I don't get offended when my "religion " gets attacked on here . I just get sad because many who attack truly do not understand the Love Jesus has for them nor do they understand the sacrfice He gave to all mankind and the Grace that He gave to each one of us.
    I believe offense doesnt help anyone but Love abounds even more.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Yes, I get upset mostly when I hear people say things about my Lord that are not true. I don't get all mad at them, but it makes me really sad. I wish they could know Him and what He is really like and how much He loves them.

I try and explain things so that they won't have a wrong conception of Him, but I know they will believe what they want to believe. There is no point in arguing.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• many who attack truly do not understand the Love Jesus
    __

I have to agree with this. I normally don't get upset but I do think the person doesn't understand my religion.
    Anonymous

• im a Christian and there are a small number of women on CM that i refuse to engage or open their questions b/c their intolerant words only anger me. so i choose not to put myself in a position to be offended. when i see someone belittling another's belief even if its not my own i just make a mental note of that persons lack of intelligence. but if someone is continuously attacking someone for their beliefs and keeps saying the tired old "im not doing anything wrong, why does everyone hate me?" line THATS when i get mad...when someone is too stupid to see that their words are mean & hateful. especially if they are doing so under my beliefs label.

but i have seen one too many times someone get offended at an innocent question, and thats just as wrong imo.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Funny thing about that question. It was closed by the OP who chose his/her own answer as best when s/he flat out admitted s/he was attacking others' religions. And yet, I never once had my "panties in a wad" because s/he was supposedly attacking my religion. I was pointing out how ignorant the point was s/he was trying to make in relation to all religions. Rather than try to explain it in a way that made sense, s/he threw a hissy, or if you prefer, got his/her panties in a wad, and closed the question. Not even a third as clever as s/he believes s/he is - his/her attack wasn't even an obvious attack so much as desperate grasping for a gotcha moment that never did appear.

If someone who actually made sense attacked my religion, I wouldn't be offended by the attack so much as their lack of shame at exhibiting their own stupidity for all to see.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2009