Who do you agree with?

Retired General Paul Eaton, senior adviser to the National Security Network, has hit back hard at Dick Cheney a day after the former vice president criticized the Obama administration again for "dithering while America's armed forces are in danger." In a speech Wednesday night, Cheney said, "President Obama now seems afraid to make a decision, and unable to provide his commander on the ground with the troops he needs to complete his mission."

In an NSN press release, Eaton empties his chamber:

The record is clear: Dick Cheney and the Bush administration were incompetent war fighters. They ignored Afghanistan for 7 years with a crude approach to counter-insurgency warfare best illustrated by: 1. Deny it. 2. Ignore it. 3. Bomb it.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• While our intelligence agencies called the region the greatest threat to America, the Bush White House under-resourced our military efforts, shifted attention to Iraq, and failed to bring to justice the masterminds of September 11.

The only time Cheney and his cabal of foreign policy 'experts' have anything to say is when they feel compelled to protect this failed legacy. While President Obama is tasked with cleaning up the considerable mess they left behind, they continue to defend torture or rewrite a legacy of indifference on Afghanistan. Simply put, Mr. Cheney sees history throughout extremely myopic and partisan eyes.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I have nothing but respect for Cheney. Say what you will, but he is 20 times the world leader than what we are stuck with now. At least he knows how to make a damned decision.
    Anonymous

• Amen anon :21.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

Yes, but the WRONG ones! They JUMPED the gun on FAULTY INTEL.....They GOT us into this horrible situation..remember we'll be in and out in MONTHS! The WARS will PAY FOR THEMSELVES.....OK, so what happened to HIS war strategy??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Sweet, dems also voted for that war. I am not getting into a tit for tat with you. Simply stated that I would put more trust in Cheney to save American lives than our current president. Nuff said.

Anonymous

So that makes it right? some dems voted for it too....They weren't privy to all the inter the admin had and they aren't the ones who promised we would be greeted as liberators and in and out in months....then really f'ed up in BOTH wars

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• so does it make it right that Obama has been sitting on the advise of the past administration (yeah, I know you think it isn't worth anything) and their military advisers saying that they needed more manpower, ONLY TO BE REPEATED BY HIS HAND PICKED GENERAL, yet he still can't seem to make a decision. I think he seems confused because there is not voting "PRESENT" when you are the end of the line. It's a yes or no answer, and you live with the consequences. If he wasn't prepared to make these difficult decisions (like ALL PRESIDENTS HAVE HAD TO DO), then he shouldn't be in the position he holds. If you don't understand or agree with that, then there is nothing else I can say to make it more clear.

Good day to you!

Anonymous

• so does it make it right that Obama has been sitting on the advise of the past administration (yeah, I know you think it isn't worth anything) and their military advisers saying that they needed more manpower, ONLY TO BE REPEATED BY HIS HAND PICKED GENERAL

General Patraeus isn't sold yet either, they want a strategy first. Patraeus is OVER McChrystal and he gets final say

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Cheney is a disgusting war -mongering war criminal and you respect him? Oh lordie....he needs to be prosecuted for war crimes and you think he was a leader? He was a dictator. And he "accidentally" shot his friend in the face while they were hunting. Nice. Do you think he deserves respect?
    Anonymous

• keep holding onto that Patraeus thing. I believe Obama has final say. It's painfully clear that he just can't make hard decisions. He is a weak leader and I knew he would be. Unfortunately, it's to peril of our men and women serving in our military.

Anonymous