wat age do you let your kids go outside alone to play up the street?

ok so i got 2 boys 6 and 7, they keep asking to play outside the house alone with friends but i say there way too young to do it with out me out there..when do you thinkis the right age? there friends are the same age and aloud out with out any parents but i think nooo way!! help me so i no if im being too crazy !!

luvnmaboys

Asked by luvnmaboys at 10:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my daughters 5 and i dont think any time soon she can leave the property..once in a while she is allowed to ride her bike in the front but only on the driveway!! and usually after about 4-5 minutes i go upt here with her anyways..all these crazy thoughts go thru my head..soo yaa i cant see letting my daughter leave any time soon..maybe 8-9..i dunno..i think it also depends on your neighborhood to...and if i lived in a cul-de-sac..i probably would let her..but i dunno..its a tough call!! theres a kid across the street that is in grade 5, and he walks to school all by himself, it takes about 15 minutes from where we live, and i dunno, i cant see letting my daughter walk by herself when shes in grade 5 too..(walking thru a forest area is included) so yaaaaaaaa..i dont think so....and it depends on the maturity of the kids..lol..hahahaha so much to think about!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• In this day and age? Not till they were 15...LOL
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 11:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• When I was a child living a cul-de-sac with 60% of the houses having kids we were all allowed to play out .... hardly any cars came up and when they did it was so slow that we easily got out the way. That was 25-35 years ago. Mum and dad didn't even watch us. No adults watched us.

Today living on a road where cars think they are in nascar it will probably be a few years yet. When she plays in the yard there is always at least one adult watching her and any other kids that come to play. I trust my friend next door and she is often looking after her nieces and nephews when DD plays out. The maturity of the child also has a great deal to do with it and personally my DD is bright but not very mature at all.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• For my kids it was 6 if they were alone. My older 3 kids are 9, 8 and about to turn 7 and they play outside all the time by themselves (either alone or with each other or with the neighborhood kids). My 3yo is allowed to go with them if they are all together. If it's just her she can sometimes play on the porch (we have a big front porch) if the windows are open and I'll be in the living room.

We live in Chicago, in the same house my family has lived in for 20 years. The neighborhood is no different then when I was a kid here. There are always kids all over the place. I think I counted 22 just on our side of the block (including my 4). It's a blast to watch them all outside playing together, running up and down the street or riding bikes. The other day it was warm again and I kicked them out the door after homework and told them not to come back until it got dark. Good times and they had a blast.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:08 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I think 6 - 7....My oldest is 7 and he's allowed to go to a certain point on our street (can't pass the hill because then I can't see him!!!). My 3 year old is only allowed out front if his brother is with him but not often. However, I'm fortunate enough to have a fenced in back yard so they play back there A LOT!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I did it for the first time about a year ago when my kids were 7 and 8. I would not have if it weren't for the fact I could see them throught the kitchen window. I told them they had to stay out side and they could not go inside. I was really paranoid I guess but they are still breathing.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:17 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I say 10yrs old. is good. I didn't feel to save letting them go any earlier. And even then I still checked up on her.And now shes 13.(14 at the end of November) and I have her call me to tell me every time she changes locations. "Hey I'm sorry ,I worry so much.for my girl;." with whats going on with kids of all ages ending up missing. heck , who's not to worry.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:21 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• It depends on the set up, if you live on a busy street you may want to wait until they are a bit older. We live on a cul de sac so my boys were out alone ( I had the shades pulled up so I could see) around 6 or so. We have a great backyard, yet my kids always want to play out front. Silly kids!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• NEVER......
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My son was about 6 when he started wanting to play with the neighborhood kids. What we did (we as in all the moms in the neighborhood) we'd go out with them, sit on the front porch, do yard work...whatever. We'd let them have their space while watching from afar. I know it's not possible in all neighborhoods, but we live in a gated community, we all know each other and our street is not busy, so this was no big deal. The next summer when the boys (5 boys on our street plus my son) were all 7-9 (my son was 7 at the time), we let them go out alone. They are always in one of our yards so even if us parents are inside, one of us has our eye on them. The boys are now 9-12 and still do this...tho they seem to spend most of their time in the woods now building a fort. Really, what it boils down to, is that you trust your child, neighbors and the area you live in. Good luck.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Oct. 23, 2009