Do you ever help the Homeless?

I would like to more often, I would love to help children where could I go in My community that would have shelters for children?

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 10:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Homeless people are homeless either due to medical problems (including mental), drugs, alcohol, or poor money management. No. I don't help them. I have a hard enough time keeping my own life together.
    Maybe they should take responsibility for themselves and for those who can't due to illness, they should be committed.
    Anonymous

• I do agree with you Anon, that we even pay out of our tax returns/ pay checks I should say to help those kind of people out By Law! So maybe that is one reason why I am having a challenging time thinking of who to give it to. As much as I want to help them, I think they have a lot more then what they say. Basically! The Rich get Richer and the Poor get handed to, so then that leaves the middle class in a huge problem! Why Us? Why do we have to pay everything?
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 10:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• See there is a reason why I would like to help the kids/ babies and possibly abused women in shelters because they are trying to get away from the mess. But I don't feel comfortable helping just anyone who wont help themselves I have much good with My money else-where before I would want to help someone who isn't appreciative of it, or who wont help themselves! It just ticks me off to No end!
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 10:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You should do that if it makes you happy. I donate to Salvation Army & other charities when I can.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 11:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• anon i know you are intitled to your opinion but no one knows their destiny and i think or i would hope that these people would not want to be homeless yes some do but some cannot help it...so what about all of our vets from the vietnam war?many or them are/werehomeless and had mental illness that mayhave not been treated do they deserve to be ignored?do not judge you never know what someone else has been through unless you walk in your shoes.
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• WELL OKAY SO YOU HAVE FIGURED OUT THAT EVERY PERSON WHO IS HOMELESS IS ADDICTED TO SOMETHING OR IRRESPONSABLE????

YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR MIND AND FIND OUT A FEW THINGS BEFORE JUMPING TO JUDGEMENT!!!!

i WAS HOMELESS ONCE BECAUSE MY APT MANAGER WOULD NOT RENEW MY LEASE...SHE GAVE NO REASON ....HOWEVER i WENT TO SCHOOL WITH H ER AND IN SCHOOL SHE WOULD, ON A DAILY BASE TRY TO KICK MY ASS...NOW SHE WAS SOMEHOW MY APT MANAGER AND FOUND A WAY TO EVICT ME AND MY KIDS.

i HAVE BEEN HOMELESS BECAUSE MY HUSBAND WAS ABUSIVE.....

i WAS ALMOST HOMELESS BECAUSE OF FORECLOUSURE...WHY? BECAUSE OF THE FLIPPING...."ARM" AND CURRENT HUBBY'S LAYOFF AND THE BANK NOT WANTING TO ACCEPT WHAT WE COULD DO AS FAR AS SAVING THE HOUSE.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD...OP....HELP OUT AT A HOMELESS SHELTER, OPEN YOUR HEART AND MIND AND FIND OUT THE STORY BEHIND EVERY PERSON NEEDING HELP.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I do. My dad is mentally ill and wondered off 10 years ago. He was found two years ago he was homeless that whole time. He could not help how he was and no one cares in our country about the mentally ill they just laugh at them or look away. Thankfully a woman was kind enough to get him to call us. She had been helping him for three years. I got my dad back. We got him on meds and healthy he lives with us now and I am grateful to the people along the way who took a few seconds out of their day and helped him out. I help in the homeless shelter have allowed more than one person to call home on my cellphone. I have 3000 minutes doesn't hurt me at all. I have given clothing, money and my time. The homeless are not throw away people and anyone could be in their shoes given the right circumstances.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Anon:03 all of those reasons you listed are your own irresponsibility. There are ways around being homeless. You did not choose to take alternative routes.

Anon:36 I am sorry about your father. He needed mental help that only a caregiver could provide. He should have received that from our veterans associations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• There are more than one million homeless children in the United States. Think about that for a moment. How many people live in your city or town? How many live in your county? State? Children and families are the fastest growing category of homeless in this country. You can learn more, and learn how and where to help, here: http://www.familyhomelessness.org/?q=node/5

Answer by rkoloms at 9:01 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I used to volunteer at the local Soup Kitchen and there were children in line there for lunch. I don't know how to find any "children specific" shelters.
    If I see a homeless person on the side of the road and my dh is with me, sometimes we'll buy them a meal, but I don't ever give them money.

Answer by missanc at 9:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2009