do you think pittbulls are bad?

I always hear about how people with pittbulls..and some other dog, that i cant think of the name of the breed....should put them to sleep...or get into alot more trouble with them attacking people...

I honestly, dont like them, just because they look mean...my moms friend has them, and says they are like babies...but of course, she also has said that when she brought her newborn home, said one of the pitts ( she has 4, all in the house) followed the baby around, like its prey....

So I am just looking for differnt views, or info on this..because I have always been curious.

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 10:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• punish the deed and not the breed! i have seen mean ones and i have seen nice. its all in the parenting and the lineage. just like in humans there are bad apples.. bad families.. but does that mean i believe we should all be euthanized? no. b/c thats preposterous and inhumane.
    idebusashes

Answer by idebusashes at 10:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I don't think pits are bad, I think that some owners are bad, pits get a bad rep because they are a more dominant dog and people use them for fighting, if you treat them right and train them like any other dog they are good pets, chiwawas are vicious too, but you never hear about that do you? I almost had my face chewed off by one when I was younger (a chiwawa) Any dog can be mean if that is what you raise it to be, it goes the same way with nice loving loyal dogs....I am a pit owner and we never have had any problems
    Anonymous

• Only if they're trained to be, as with any dog.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My Pits has always been very protective with my LO and she is sleeping right next to her crib as we speak so they are BEST FRIENDS has been since day one.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I don't think pit bulls or any other "dangerous" dog-rotweilers or german shepards- should be around any little kids.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• no.its the owner who causes the problems with any breed not just pitbulls
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 10:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• well I was wondering though...why is it that you always hear about the pittbulls or rotweilers or german shepards.is it because they are bigger or easier to make mean or what
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Any dog can be an attack dog. One of our Shepherds will rip you to shreds if you're threatening me or our kids in any way. But he's a big teddy bear with all of us. They have grown up with him and he's bonded with all of us. Pitts shouldn't be banned, stupid people should, and I mean those that train them to fight and mistreat them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• There are no bad dogs, only bad owners! And unfortunately bad owners tend to be attracted to breeds with "tough" looks or a tough rap which in turn make things WAY worse! If these people all decided they wanted labs you would end up with the same issues in labs!

Here's my MEAN VICIOUS dog with my 15 month old!: http://www.cafemom.com/group/95538/forums/read/7061075/Vicious_Baby_Eaters?next=11#replies
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You hear about Shepherds, Rotts, Dobermans because too often the wrong people are drawn to these breeds, they are drawn to them because of their intimidating looks and their history as war and police dogs. With other breeds like pits, the wrong people are drawn to them because of their fighting history. The worse a breeds reputation becomes, the more the general public fears them, and the more attractive the breed becomes to the "wrong" crowd (people that should have ANY breed of dog).
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2009