diferent kinds of sex offenders?

obviously i am a mom and shutter at the though of sex offenders and everything....but i was looking at the site the other day ( where it tells you if there are any living around you) ...and I seen a boy who i went to school with, and it said the charge was sex with a minor....

my cousin is his friend so i asked him about it...and when he ( the SO ) was 18....he had sex with his 16 y/o girlfriend...who is still his g/f ! ...her parents pressed charges..and now he is a S/O ....I just find that kind of sad...I dont know him that well...but that is the only thing he is charged with, so I assume it is the onyl thing he has done.... it makes me wonder what would have happend, because when my mom was 16, my dad was 20 ! ( they are still together after 25 years) ....and when i was 17 my husband was 21....so if i had met him earlier...i would have been 16 - he was 20...i just find it sad.

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 10:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• it really is sad. there should be a way for this not to happen
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 10:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• That's why people should to be able to see the actual offenses before they start freaking out about a sex offender living down the road from you. I found a website once for my state that listed sex offenders, what their offense was, and when it happened, so it was easy to guess which ones probably just had sex with their girlfriend, and that was most of them.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• That is unfair. Parents need to control their underage children & not allow them to date 18+.
    Anonymous

• You can also make the list for public urination, accidentally exposing yourself and a bunch other silly things and the person is automatically labeled "sex offender". The list is stupid and pointless if they don't discern actual dangerous people from some dumb kid who streaked at a high school football game (and yeah, I read that in a paper the other day...he'll be on the list for the next 10 years, his life destroyed by a dumb prank).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I agree with that. It is sad that a person can have their life ruined for doing something that how many other stupid people have done. Having sex with your teenage girlfriend who is just a couple years younger or streaking or taking a pee. There should be some way of differentianting between those people and the ones who are commiting real sex crimes.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:09 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I think he should have known better, at 18, than to have sex with a minor. It's good they're still together, so maybe they didn't need to be having sex when it was illegal. I would press charges in the same situation, even if my kid is consenting. It's not going to hurt anybody to wait, but not waiting can, apparently. I hope it was great sex and worth landing on the list.

And before anyone says it, not everyone has sex as a teen, so that's an invalid argument.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2009