How does everyone feel about having leashes foryour toddlers/children?

I was thinking about gettingone for these, just becasue my toddler is fast on her feet. I am not sure what do you think?

dae43123

Asked by dae43123 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Whatever works for you.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• its safer..... .. take the chance of having her run and not finding her. no thanks.. i planned on gettin one, but so far i dont need it.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• When i see someone with one of these the first thing that pops in my head is "nice dog"!! I have 3 young children and I've never had to use one!! it's ridiculous IMO
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 11:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Whatever works for you. A good parent worries about the safety of his/her children. By asking this question, YOU are a good parent!! :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i just bought one for my 3 year old. She is the type that likes to run off and she runs a lot faster than me. I got one of the cute ones that look like a dog backpack and she loves wearing it.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I had one, our 2 youngest are 13 months apart and it was very hard to keep up with the toddler when I was carrying an infant in a babyseat. I did what I had to do. If you feel you need to don't let some self righteous "Mom" make you feel like you're doing something wrong. Ours are 13 yrs, 7 yrs and 6 yrs now and they are just fine..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:01 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• we have one for our 13 month old because he likes to run and wander, and at the doctor or when we went to the pumpkin patch, we can set him down and he can explore the immediate area and he won't get stepped on or run off. its one of those little backpack leash things... a monkey... super cute, and he loves it, on top of eveyrthing!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• i would never ever have one for my child. i think it is wrong and all i think about when i see one is how lazy and disrespectfull those people must be. as a parent you have to be on top of everything and i knoe it is "easier" but i have 3year old, 1 year old, and a 5 month old, and you have to teach and disipline them. my kids know that running away from mom or dad is a BIG no no .
    Dusti3

Answer by Dusti3 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Whatever it is not lazy...It is perfectly fine to get the cute animals backpack type where the tail is the leash....you have safety and peace of mind knowing your child is not far away....I used the puppy one for my son and it was great because he felt "big" because he could walk along side mom.
    After awhile I strapped the leash to the cart at the stores and he followed the cart.
    why not have the peace of mind rather then loose your kid and end up shutting down walmart because your child is lost. Kids run and kids don't listen...they also throw tantrums...the idea is to find a middle ground so both parent and child can be happy...
    BTW...a leash goes around the neck....the cute things with animal back packs are called a harness.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:29 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Well, people can think whatever they want, but to call anyone lazy and disrespectful for being extra cautious about the safety of their child is ignorant and obnoxious.

We have one that MIL bought. We haven't used it, but soon we are going to the Baltimore Aquarium and they don't allow you to use strollers (idiotic, I know). They say they provide backpacks to put your kid in. Well, I know I'm not strapping my 27lb baby to my back the whole day . . . NO WAY! Her father has some back issues also . . . so nope. She doesn't like to be strapped into anything these days anyway. This will allow her to have some independence and prevent her from getting a sore arm from holding it straight up in the air all day. She is 15 months old and 30in. Why do people think strollers or carseats are any different? It is a safety restraint system. However, with the harnesses, they have some freedom to move around.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2009