Do your kids get it when it comes to school? I mean how important it is...

I am trying so hard to be patient with my 8 yr. old son with school but it seems as though he does not get it. I wonder while the teacher is talking is he really listening well maybe alittle bit but for some reason he ends up missing most of his work (test)
I don't know what else to do or say God only knows how much I spend time with him with the reading and writting etc. I have already told him that mommy and daddy could do so much with you the rest is up to you if you don't want to repeat 3rd grade again you just better get on the ball and if you flunk there is no one to blame but yourself :(
I hated telling him that but what else can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Has your son been tested for possible learning disorders? If you don't think he's listening, is it possible that he's developed some deafness? Or perhaps his eyesight isn't normal? You should talk with your son's teacher and advise of your concerns-- there are a lot of reasons why kids "check out" when there is nothing physically wrong-- but you won't know what to look for until you discuss the issue with his teachers.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Is he just not caring or could there be other issues? sometimes as parents what looks like a child just not paying attention or caring is actually a problem that is hard to see. Does your child get anxiety before test? this can make it very hard to score well if they feel the pressure even an 8 y/o can feel test anxiety. When reading does your child read well but not retain the information? If so it is possible that your child has a tracking problem that can be corrected with glasses and eye exercises (do not rely on your schools annual vision exam they do not do the proper test to determine tracking problems) Some children learn better when they are not being talked to alot as in a teacher standing there talking on and on about a subject, instead they do better if they are given the work and allowed to just do it and given help when they need it. Try to ask questions to narrow down the problem.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• One other thing is could it be your child is bored? many children who are advanced learners get passed off as slackers, many times they are so bored by what comes easily they no longer want to do it. It is very possible your child needs more challenging work.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I used to daydream in the 4th grade. So bad that my teacher called my mom cuz she saw me looking out the class window so much. I really didn't want to be there. Yes, there were problems within my family dynamics as my mom was struggling as a single mom and I was the youngest. But, I heard about her problems so much, school didn't really seem too important at the time. It was never on the "front burner" of importance bcuz of the other dramas going on. Check to see if your son is experiencing any drama on your homefront and my advice would be to jump on bored with him and ask everyday what the teacher talked about in class and what he learned. It should improve after that.
    Anonymous

• My 9yo doesn't care about school. She's in the 4th grade and went from being a straight A student in 1st and 2nd grades (an most of 3rd grade) to barely passing her classes. She's getting all Cs now and has failed several tests in different classes. I guess her grade in science is so bad she was pulled out of class to study with another teacher which she thought was great. I thought it was sad.
    She has no learning disabilities. She just doesn't care. She doesn't bring all her work home, doesn't finish all her homework, lies to us about having homework at all, ignores the teachers, etc.
    I can't do everything for her and it's her life. If she fails she'll have to suffer the consequences.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Some reasons for not wanting to go to school could also be :1. He is being teased in school. or

2. he has problems understanding a certain class.
    Im a teachers helper and I know this because the kids tell me themselfs.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:05 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My kids do understand the importance of school. My older one, in 4th grade, knows that even if she doesn't like it (social studies, ugh) she still has to learn it.

As for threatening that he may have to do third grade again. I'm pretty sure they can only be retained one time. Maybe think of something else.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2009