getting off bottle?

My son is almost 19 months and only drinks from a sippy cup one time per day or so while at preschool. He drinks bottle all other times, should I go cold turkey and say sippy cup or nothing to drink? or wean him off more naturally. he can drink out of a big plastic cup if you hold it for him.

newmom179

Asked by newmom179 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I weened, but I started early. We started teaching her the sippy at 5 months and she was completely off the bottle by 8 months. Weening is probaby the best, in my opinion.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 11:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I would go with sippy only and a big cup when you are around to hold it for him, but definitely off the bottle cold turkey. If he's 19 mos, that IMO is the only way to go. It's best to just do away with them and use "big kid" cups.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Don't go cold turkey. Each stage needs a transition. Follow this schedule. Tomorrow morning at breakfast offer a cup. If he doesn't want to drink from the cup don't give him a bottle. If hes in preschool keep it up with the cup. Before nap allow a bottle. Then a cup the rest of the day until right before bed then allow the bottle. Day three take away the nap bottle and only allow the nighttime bottle. Allow him about four days to adjust. Each night give him an ounce less so that the last night he is only getting about an ounce in the bottle. Then take the bottle away at night after those few days are up. He will feel more secure and you won't deal with the panic of cold turkey. Sucking is a comfort for small children so don't just rip it away give him a week or so to transition. It helps you to get sippy cups with a soft nipple like rubber top. Its a great transition tool. Walmart and Kohl's both had themGood luck
    Anonymous

• COLD TURKEY! IF you wean him at this point he will probably get confused. He won't starve himself or get all dehydrated... he will drink when he finally gets it that he won't get a bottle. we packed ours away and after a few hours he gave in. I know it takes a couple days for some kids, but they get it and then life is so so so so so much easier. good luck!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I agree with the above poster.. The soft, rubber topped sippys are a great place to start. They are sold in "steps" too. Just make sure you check (by sucking air thru) how well the flow is. My daughter had a lot of trouble with slow flow cups and I'd poke extra holes with a pin to make more come thru. They'll never take it if they can't get anything out of it and sucking too hard can cause ear aches.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 12:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• well at this point him being how old he is i would prolly go cold turkey. it wont hurt him to cry for little if you put him to bed with a sippy cup. also i would try first the sippy cups with a soft tip, and then once (and asap) he gets used to that go to the hard ones. i have a friend who let her child has a soft sippy cup for too long and her 3 year old has to get her 4 front teeth pulled and wont have any teeth there until her adult teeth grow in.(when she is like 7 or 8) so just try it, but be ready for some crying cause change isnt easy.
    Dusti3

Answer by Dusti3 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I didn't want my daughter on the pacifier or the bottle after a year and she was extremely attached to each so I started a bit early on weaning her off she only got them at bedtime and soon not at all she was off the pacifier by 8 months and off the bottle by 11 months
    tasha080808

Answer by tasha080808 at 1:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• We did cold turkey with both kids and they were fine. There was a small fussy period the first day but after that they just went with the cup, no trouble!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• do cup all during the day and bottle only for nap and bedtime
    joeysmommie07

Answer by joeysmommie07 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• when i switched to sippy i threw all bottles away so i couldnt be tempted to give in. you could also try just putting water in the bottle whenever he asks for it and milk in a sippy. it may be harder for you since you waited so long, the longer they have it the more attached they get GL!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:08 AM on Oct. 23, 2009