What should I need to paint my bathroom?

We have an somewhat ugly greenish (mint) color wallpaper in our bathroom walls and really dark wood cabinets.
And the counter sink has yellowish, white, grayish color in it.

What color would you paint it? How about the cabinets would you paint them too?

And would I have to tear off the wall paper (it looks pretty sealed up) maybe I should just paint over it.

Thank you handy ladies out there...:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If you paint over the wall paper it will peel easier, you could try to use primer first but I would just take the wall paper off. If you go to walmart you can get a bottle of DIFfor about $5. Just use a fork(or buy the real scoring tool) to score the paper then use the DIF, it should come off pretty easy.

Try a light tan paint, it can match with almost anything. You could refinish the cabinets, just sand it then pick a stain color you like.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• found this, http://interiordecorating.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_paint_over_wallpaper. I dont like the idea of painting wall paper, but sometimes you get good results if the wallpaper is sealed.

I would paint or sand and stain, then seal the cabinet, unless you like the way it looks some dark colored cabinets look gorgeous and a new faucett makes things look new. countertops can be cheap if you can find somewhere where you can get a remnant, maybe granite or marble.
    I love light blue bathrooms, but if you're like me and like to change the look of the bathroom like different color curtains/rugs, i would go with a nice almond color, or light taupe to keep it neutral.
    Anonymous

• I really don't recommend painting over paper in a bathroom. The humidity will make it particularly susceptible to peeling after painting.

You can save your money on DIF. Buy the scoring tool and mix a capful of fabric softener into a bucket of warm water, and use that instead. It's easier on your hands and smells better, too, and it works.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:15 AM on Oct. 23, 2009