Job Envy

Does anyone ever feel like your stuck in a rut with your job and you envy your friends who have cool jobs that pay the bills, like, "Phamaceutical Marketing Rep", or "Traveling P.E. Teacher", or "Event Planner". I am surrounded by professional women like these who bring home a good living and still find the time to make it to their kids sport practices. I am a preschool teacher struggling to make ends meet even though my husband makes a descent living. But, personally, I want more and wonder if I'm too old and set in my ways to turn to something else. I'm 40.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Your age is not any kind of a barrier! Only your abilities and willingness to learn.

I've reinvented myself about four times in the past decade. Over the course of a 23-year career, I've been a news writer and producer,a TV news director, a broadcast software trainer and support specialist, a trade show manager, a radio sales person, a radio operations and marketing director and now I'm a radio news director. While everything was related via broadcast, most of these careers required different skill sets, which i was quite happy to learn. (Well, maybe not so happy about selling.)

What interests you? That's where you start. But don't tell me anything about being too old. I've got a few years on you. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Wow, thank you, you are a motivated lady and inspirational! My drive is not great. I am in the middle of raising my 3 kids and find that time consuming. If I cleared my head and created a blank slate, I would be the happiest woman if I had a career as a counselor or psychologist. I've always been intimidated by the number of years that would take to accomplish. Don't know why I let that mountain sit in my vision. Wish I could focus on moving it and just get on with what I would love to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Ann Landers used to counter the "it'll take me years" argument by saying you'll STILL be that age.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:35 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I honestly don't envy anyone else. I work from home. I work around my family's schedule!
    Hang in there Momma. Times are tough for many people right now. You shouldn't feel that way. Be thankful you have a job and are able to support your family.

Everything is possible when you have Faith!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• i don't envy anyone, nor will i. you have no idea what those people are living. debt, stupid family members, sexual harrasment at work, unbelievable amounts of time away from kids, traffic everyday. seriously, you really have absolutely no idea how they live-you only have in your mind what you created to be how you think they live. and chances are very good they aint got it as good as you think. don't ever envy anyone for any reason, you have no idea how they really live or how their jobs are.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:28 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• You are never too old to follow your heart.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• jewjewbee, I get what you're saying, but, these people I'm referring to, I know them and their families very well. They each have their own lifestory and have encountered death of a loved one, but, they all actually manage their money quite well and have a nice retirement account for cushion. Yes, they do travel alot by plane, but while at home are able to keep their schedule around the schedules of their children. They also (all 3) have incredibly supportive husbands who pick up the slack for them if they are unavailable. They work hard to get where they are today, and they truly Love what they do and their lifestyle. I'm the one always complaining, and they are always quite happy to listen and support me, but they don't have work complaints that I do. Plus, my husband is fabulous, but down deep I get the sense he would love me to earn more money at a better job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2009