How can I get my 18 month old to start sleeping on her own?

My daughter Addie has been sleeping in the bed with us since 9 months when she got the flu really bad and that means she's been in the bed with us 9 months. I've decided to finally break her away from sleeping with us to her going to her own bed.
I'm desperate for some tips. I've got a feeling this is going to be way harder to break than the bottle and the passy combined. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• drjaygordon.com has an article that is JUST what you're seeking. Search the site for sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Move her to her room and if need be, make a set bedtime routine, like bath, snuggle time reading with mom or dad and maybe then rocking and listening to(or humming) soft music in a darkened room to get her nice and sleepy, then try to lay her down. You can stay with her for the first few nights until she falls asleep in bed. It may take a bit to get the routine established and working, but it's worth it to get Your bedroom back to a big-people room again, I totally understand! :)
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:34 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• this might sound mean but it works and i swear by it. get a routine dinner, bath, pjs, cuddle, and the bed. when my son was about the same age my husband was tired of him sleeping with us when he has a brand new bed to sleep in, so we would do our routine, and then he would lay him down in bed give him is cup (or bottle) and tell him that it was time to go night night. yeah, oh yeah he would scream his head off, my husband would just go in make sure he was ok, and tell him again go night night. it was really hard for me cause i was a first time mom and didnt think it was right. but after about a week he would just go in and lay down and go to sleep. and now my son (3), my daughter(20 mos) go to bed without a peep.
    Dusti3

Answer by Dusti3 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• We move our DD to her own bed when she was 15months old. We got her a Twin size bed. At night I put her in her bed & I stay w/her untill she goes to sleep. You have to have a rutine dinner, bath, book or what ever works for u first. Its going to take him time to get use to his own bed. He might wake up 2 to 4 times at night for the firts 3 weeks. He'll get use to it. But make sure that when he cries don't bring him over to ur bed. cause then ull have to start all over again.

Good luck & don't give up the sooner u star the better.. Now I can strech In my own bed..Lol..
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 7:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Im sorry. I said he insted of her..
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 7:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2009