Do u belive in god?

everyone that I talk to and tell them that i dont belive in god looks at me like i am the worst person in the world. i am a loving mother and wife of three beautiful babies. why do people judge me about my faith, instead of the person that i am?

Dusti3

Asked by Dusti3 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes i believe in God ...and the Goddess too! :)

I do not have a problem with atheists. What you believe is up to you. Makes not difference to me.

But i have to be honest, ...when my mom came out and said that she was atheist it really bugged me. I DO feel that faith is important and because my mom is so important to me it really hurt me that she would turn away the possibility of any kind of higher power.
    ...My mom died about 1 month after deciding she was an atheist. And i do not believe that she was in the right frame of mind when she was contemplating the possibility of God.

On the other hand, i've had a couple friends who are atheist, and (as i stated above) i didn't care.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I am a Christian, and we are not supposed to judge anyone. However, as a Christian, it is hard for me to understand how someone could not believe in God. But, just because I don't understand your feelings or beliefs doesn't mean I can't respect our differences. I must say though, I would find it hard to be friends with an atheist because our view are so different. So, maybe the people around you just can't understand your feelings, just like maybe you can't understand ours.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I do believe in God. I do not judge you because of you not believing. That is not my place to do so, nor is it my place to shove my religion down your throat. Is there a reason you do not believe in God? If you would like to know more about Him, feel free to PM me, but if not that is your perogative and no one else's. It doesn't make you a bad person that you do not believe in God, it doesn't make you a bad mother either. But please make sure you give your children the opportunity to make up their own minds about their beliefs.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Yes I believe in God... Also God gave us a free chose we can either serve him or not.. Believe in him or not.. Thats up to you... NOt for me to judge
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• No
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Yes I do and he believes in you :-) You may not realise it but He really does love you and wants you to get to know Him. However He understands that you do not want to and He will wait for you. He has given you that choice to accept His gift of Love and Life or not! :-)
    I know He loves me, I received His gift of Love and Love being a Child of God! Its one thing I could not ever live without! I cannot imagine eternity separated from the one I love so much.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• No. 100% atheist here. And you know how I dealt with this? I became more open and confident about my beliefs. I don't really know why it worked but I made the decision to be loud and proud of my atheism (Christians get to, why not us?) and a lot of misconceptions with people I know were cleared up because of it. However, I did notice it also caused me to dislike religion more also.
    johnsmohawkgirl

Answer by johnsmohawkgirl at 2:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• In the conventional sense (of someone mean-spirited looking down and judging people and finding them lacking, and them punishing them, sometimes forever) no, absolutely not. I believe that whole store was created for churches to control people and get their money.

In terms of 'whatever force made the whole universe, and keeps physics working' sure. Why not?

I am often appalled by the intolerant judgement of people who claim to believe in the love of God and all of God's creation --many people really seem to hate people, and have no qualms about claiming righteousness in oppressing them (even themselves).

My aunt told me that it was common for her to be asked 'you're an intelligent and kind young lady, how can you not believe in god?' Her reply was, 'you're a smart and nice wise person, how can you believe?'

The lack of agreement, even between people who claim the same god astonishes me.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:39 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Yes I believe in God (Allah).

Well perhaps its just perplexion, I think it is difficult for someone who does believe in God to understand atheism. If you look around at creation and see all the evidence you need to be convinced , then it seems strange that someone looks to the same creation yet isnt. Perhaps you are mistaking "the look" of perplexion for a "look of judgement."

Your belief is your belief. !!! It doesnt matter how much someone doesnt like it, it doesnt change it !!!
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 3:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I'm a life-long atheist living in the south, Dusti3...I feel your pain and completely relate to the reactions you describe. To the previous poster, no someone disliking your belief doesn't change it, but what does change is how people react to you when they hear the "dreaded unspeakable word" atheist. People can know you for DECADES and have their own little justifications for things about you, but the second the "A" word is said, suddenly you "change", and are now a horrible person whose every word and action up til that moment are somehow suspect in retrospective. When it is family, friends, co-workers, your boss who react badly and treat you like a deadly contagious disease over a bit of silly mythology, it is difficult to not feel resentment, hurt and anger over these reactions. Especially if you make a point to accept their right to believe, and strive to be a "live and let live" type person who only wants the same.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2009