Is my gallon of milk bad?

My idiot husband of mine says the milk is good. Today is Oct.22nd. The gallon is dated Oct.13th. Since no one in my house knows how to drink one gallon at a time instead of opening everything at once and causing fridge chaos, we are now fighting over this. I put it on the counter to go out with the trash and he put it back in the fridge saying it was good! No way in hell am I giving it to the kids! Please help before I pull the rest of my hair out! lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Eh tell him to try a big glass of it.....just to make sure it is still good. LOL
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:59 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I go by smell and taste. Sometimes it is good for up to 2 weeks after the date. A week after is normal.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Gross! I wouldn't drink it either!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:57 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Haha! Funny you ask this. I always throw away food or milk if the expiration date is overdue, BUT tonight I ate sour cream that expired 6 days ago. It didn't smell bad and tasted fine so I ate it and fed it to my family;) I was just too lazy to go to the store and get some new stuff. The good news is nobody got sick and we are all still alive.

If it smells okay and tastes okay, it's fine. JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• The 'best before' date is partly there to sell more milk, by getting you to throw out perfectly good food for no reason at all.

If your fridge is cold, and you don't leave it out for an hour every day, it should be fine for at least a week after the date, if not a lot more.

If people drink out of the carton, it will spoil a long time before the date.

If you're concerned about it, and it's still smelling fine, use it to cook and bake with, or make pudding. You can also do what people used to do before fridges: bring it nearly to the boiling point and then simmer it for 5 minutes, which will kill anything in it, making it safe to eat again.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:34 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• The best way to tell is to pour some into a cup of hot coffee. If it stays smooth and liquidy then it is fine. If it curdles, throw it out.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Ew, we will toss it the day before the expiration date, if it ever gets that close. If you pour it down the drain, argument is over. :)
    Smell it. It's probably awful.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Um wait til he turns his back and pour it down the drain...problem solved!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2009