6 week old eating, throwing up, repeating!

My 6 week old (who was born 3 weeks early) has been throwing up lately. She eats, burps, falls asleep (most of the time), then throws up. She is ready to eat very shortly after. I am afraid that I will overfeed her and upset her tummy again. Should I feed her if she just threw up? Also (and I know it's a no no) she does so much better when she sleeps on her tummy. Any suggestions for her tummy problem? No fever, no real fussiness besides that.

Thank you

km1217

Asked by km1217 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is she breastfed or formula fed?
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 1:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• she sounds like my dd, when she was lil. if she formula fed, put a teaspoon of baby rice cereal in her bottle, to every 2 ounces.. one t/s to every scoop of formula.. trust me it will help..
    Trinity0820

Answer by Trinity0820 at 1:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• no no no to the rice cereal!! you lil baby is too young to haveanything but breastmilk or formula.if anything it will upset her tummy more. just change whats in your diet if you're breastfeeding or maybe try a different formula, but hertummy is not "equipped enough for cereal yet
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 1:14 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• You posted this in the Breastfeeding Moms group, so I take it she's breastfed. Is it possible your letdown is too much for her? There's an article on kellymom.com that describes fast letdown and solutions...check it out to see if it fits.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:15 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I breast feed and my son gags all the time when his food cooled down too much or if he is full. They usually aren't used to the different texures and will react diffrrently to certain food like meat is griddy and veggies are kind of griddy but are tangy and fruit like bananas are smooth and sweet. They are learning try to teach her sign language she can tell when she is full like my son! Good luck
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 1:16 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• That sounds like my little brother when He was little. He had reflux. It's something to think about. Bring it up next time you go to the pediatrician.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• nature:: actually my babys dr was the one who suggested it for the simple fact she had acid reflux, Im pretty sure I would trust their advice to someones who claims all babies need is formula or breast milk...
    Trinity0820

Answer by Trinity0820 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Hehe I remember one night my daughter dalyla threw up on me she was around a month old and like your daughter she ate, fell asleep (not for long), puked, repeat I was breast feeding and she was just eating too fast I basically had to help her slow down by taking her off the nipple and burping her more....as for the tummy I know we are constantly told not to do so many things and believe you me I never but my daughter on her belly but when I moved back out west when dalyla was 5 weeks old my mom started laying her on her belly around 8 or 9 weeks old and its true she never slept so well! Besides when they lay on out chest what r they doing? Sleeping on their bellies! Dalyla is now 14 months old and still prefers her tummy to her back
    tasha080808

Answer by tasha080808 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Thank you all!! She is breastfed (to answer that question). I will check out about the letdown. I know it sometimes is too much because she gags, I pull her off, and it's like she forgets to breathe. It takes her a few seconds to recover, and breathe normal again.
    km1217

Answer by km1217 at 1:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• all baby needs for the first year is breastmilk or formula. solids and cereal are just for practice not necessarliy nutritional value. doctors are not always correct. GERD, true cereal can help. however telling this mother to give her premature 6 week old cereal is not good advice when it could just be her diet affecting her breastmilk. seriously ivenever heard of someone just giving cereal to a (really) 3 week old. wow.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 1:29 AM on Oct. 23, 2009