sleep problems

My son is 8 months old and has been sleeping with me since he was born. He started sleeping through the night around 5 or 6 months. That lasted for maybe a month. But what I didn't know was that he was waking up some nights wanting a bottle and I guess I didn't wake up so my husband was coming in and feeding him. Now he is waking up 2-3 times a night. He will wake up once and I will just put his binky back in his mouth and he will roll over and go back to sleep. The next time he wants a bottle but he will only take 1 oz. And the third time he doesn't want either! And he seems to be going to bed later and later at night. It is a fight to get him to go to sleep. I just layed him down at 12 after struggling for 2 hours with him. Some people have told me to try benadryl but I really would rather not drug my baby to get him to sleep.

DavidsMom0218

Asked by DavidsMom0218 at 1:45 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Also, he is teething and has been for about 4 months now and still no teeth. I thought this could be part of the problem but it just doesn't seem like he will ever get any! lol I know that he will but I didn't think it would take this long. Any help would be appreciated!
    DavidsMom0218

Answer by DavidsMom0218 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• definitly DONT do the benadryl!!! whom ever told you that is very silly:) anyways itspossible hes having a growth spurt and its also possible its just a phase. the teething could be it. you can try o give tylenol when he seems uncomfortable. what are the times hes waking? like an hour after bed,. etc have you began solids?
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 1:52 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• If he's hungry, he needs to eat, and the time of the day and the angle of the sun are not related.

Small children grow in their sleep, meaning they may be burning as many calories (or more) at night as during the day.

You don't say how long your version of 'sleeping through the night' is, nor how long it is between going to bed and getting up. There is a lot of variation in what people think is normal, and what you expect and what is actually normal for small children may have nothing in common.

Take a look at these three related articles for more info:

http://infantstoddlers.suite101.com/article.cfm/baby_sleeps_so_parents_can_sleep
    http://parentingmethods.suite101.com/article.cfm/getting_babies_to_sleep
    http://infantstoddlers.suite101.com/article.cfm/getting_baby_to_sleep_more_by_sleeping_more
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Yeah.. giving your baby a medication he doesn't NEED is A HORRIBLE IDEA!! Like the PP said, babies go through phases of sleep patterns all through out thier first year. I know when my daughter is teething, she sleeps horribly! However, once the new teeth emerge, she seems to sleep better again. Just hang in there, this too shall pass!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• my 15 month old has been waking up like this too lately..and it's just teething..you can give your baby motrin or tylenold..if it's teething it will help the pain and discomfort..and it's harmless to give to them!!
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 2:14 AM on Oct. 23, 2009