How can I tell my DH that he has bad breath without hurting his feelings?

This has been an issue with me for years... It's hard for me to kiss him because of it. He's a very attractive and attentive man but I am disgusted by his breath. What can I do?

Please do not make jokes. Take your sarcasm elsewhere. I want real answers, thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Health

• bad breath can be a sign of so many issues. make a dental appointment for him and when you make the appointment tell the staff he has severe bad breath and for the dentist to address the issue with him. be able to describe what his breath smells like. feces, rotting meat, acetone, morning breath, etc. it could be as simple as reflux disease, or an ulcer, it could be diabetes or gingivitis. he could just need a good cleaning for tartar buildup. he could have chronic sinus infections or problems with adenoids and tonsils. google tonsilloliths, that is a common problem for people who have breath that literally smells like poop. gross, i know, but it happens.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:40 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• well my hubby had bad breath
    he has really good oral hygeine sp? but for some reason his breath would just be RANK NASTY

finally I told him hey your breath smells can you go gargle some mouth was or hyrdrogen peroxide
    he thought I was joking and said I was lying
    I then told him I wouldnt lie about something that stupid and he should know better

LOL

finally I was all "think about how many times Ive kissed you today"
    then after letting him think a little bit I said "exactly go start gargling
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:37 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• buy breath mints keep em handy take one yourself offer him one
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 2:39 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• You could say, we should make an appointment to see the doctor and if he ask why say because ,your breathe smells like you may have an infection and we should check to see if everythings ok. His problem is probably most likely that he has some decay in his mouth and the infection is causing the smell. If its really bad it could even be something internal and I would encourage him to get a full check up. Even someone with really good hygene could have really bad breathe or have some other problems going on with there body. Constipation,stomach problems,diabetes,organ problems and bad bacterias in the gut also cause bad breath.
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 3:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• When My husband has bad breath, which he usually does! I tell him to go brush his teeth and say his breath stinks, or i make a joke covering my nose and go "woh" and laugh. he laughs along and goes and brushes his teeth.. we joke a lot though.. can't be too sensitive if you're ganna be in a marriage. people gotta lighten up and just love each other, life is life, things stink sometimes
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 4:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• yeah that happened to me and dh this morning, he does usually have bad breath but this was the morning breath. he was still asleep and i walked into the bedroom and i could smell his breath lol i was like HOLY CRAP and he woke up and was like what? i told him he needed to brush his teeth ASAP because that was just nasty!!! i always have to remind him to brush his teeth anyway (he wasnt like that when we dated though, guess he feels he can let himself go lol NOT!) he knows im always going to ride his butt about it...so just try to be kinda funny about it, or go into the bathroom and brush your teeth and be like HEY have you brushed today? and make him doit lol
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 4:55 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• mine woke me up with rank breath this morning ! He sleeps with the fan in him face and he was on his back snoring with his mouth wide open .... yeah nasty wake to wake up . Somehow wet chicken shit outside doesnt smell as bad !
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• He just might have to pay a visit to the dentist it could be anything.
    Just be honest with him I'd rather be the one to tell him then for someone he doesn't know I would be embarrassed if I were him. Just sit him down and be honest and if he takes it personal leave it alone he will soon get the hint. Just have lots of stuff laying around so he can help himself for a fresh breathe. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My DH has a heredity gum disorder where his gums recede from his teeth time to time and then it goes back to normal. While his gums are moving away from his teeth he tends to get infections and his gums will swell. He can just have brushed his teeth and his breath still stinks. Smells like an old ham and cheese sandwich left out in the sun. The first couple of times I noticed it I told him his breath still stunk and I thought he needed to brush better, after re-brushing and still smelling, I made him a dentist appointment. At that appointment he was told of his condition and they gave him a special mouthwash to use when it occurs. Since he started using the mouthwash he has been fine.

It might be worth a dentist appointment.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 11:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• haha ryansmommy07

i hate waking up to his mouth wide open in my face!!! i always close his mouth and push his head to the other side lmao!! he never knows! and i can sleep just a little bit longer lol
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 5:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2009