Breastfeeding after breast augmentation

Does anyone have any experiences with breastfeeding after breast augmentation surgery?
I had the surgery about 2 years ago and am curious as to what other people's experiences, good or bad, are with this...

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 8:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are two big issues with breastfeeding after implants:
    1) Some implants are safe to breastfeed with and some are not. Only your doctor can tell you if the implants you have are safe to breastfeed with.
    2) Every woman is different and each surgeon performs the procedure a little bit differently. For this reason some women have no trouble at all producing milk after implants and some do.

Start out by talking to your doctor about the type of implants you have. If you're doctor clears you to breastfeed, then contact a lactation consultant for help and advice.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Thanks Thrivingmom.
    I've already been cleared by my doctor...I just wanted to hear other mommies real experiences. Sometimes text book advice is different from what actually ends up happening...
    Munchkin09

Answer by Munchkin09 at 9:03 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• If you've been cleared, then go ahead and contact your hospital's lactation nurse and schedule a meeting. Be sure and have her there for that first latch on. The are a huge help.

Even though I BF my first for nearly 18 months and had weaned her just 2 months before delivering my second, I still asked for the lactation nurse to be there to assist with the first latch. It just gives me peace of mind to know we're off to a good start.

Also join the BF groups here on CafeMom. There are tons of helpful women in those groups and I've seen a few ladies in there that did BF after implants.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2009