**Christians only please** What is your stance on calling a person ignorant?

After reading another post, I am curious as to how many Christians feel it is appropriate to directly call a person ignorant. I would like a to hear from Christians on this. I am a little surprised this word is thought of as civil but it gets hard to tell if it is approved by Christians after a lot of post.

I couldn't imagine going into church, find a person singing the wrong song, or even giving false informaiton and calling them ignorant.

It seems like a degrading word to me. I wouldn't tell anyone they were ignorant. If a person tells me I believe in an invisble guy in the sky, that is obvioulsy untrue. I don't believe God lives in the sky, but I don't feel "ignorant" is the appropriate word to use.

Am I alone on this? Do many Christians support the liberal use of the word ignorant? You really can't be wrong on this answer, I am just curious as to how many feel this way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• when I hear the word I automatically think stupid...
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• First off...why only Christians to answer? I guess I would say that, yes, there are ignorant people out there. Are they ignorant for their beliefs? No....everyone has a right to believe what they want. I do throw and occasional "ignorance is bliss" comment out there when people act ignorant. And yes, I am a Christian.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 9:07 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• has this been discussed before? I am sorry I have only seen it on the one post. I don't come here everyday and I don't read all the posts. If you would like, give me a link to other questions on this topic and I will be glad to read them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• "First off...why only Christians to answer? "

As I explained in my question, I don't like this word but I would like to know if other Christians feel that way. It is possible I am the only one who feels this way. Your answer will not increase or decrease my use of this word, I was curious so I asked.

I would also like to point out an ignorance is bliss comment every so often is not the level of the word I was talking about. thanks for your comment you have a wonderful day.

I think I am going to take off for a little bit. Maybe the coffee hasn't started to work yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I am a Christian and "ignorant" isn't a degrading word, it's a word do describe that someone is unaware of the truth.

I don't support calling someone ignorant in a demeaning nature, though...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:18 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Ephisians 4:31 "Let all malicious bitterness and anger and wrath and screaming and abusive speech be taken away from you along with all badness."
    Titus 3:2 "to speak injuriously of no one, not to be belligerent, to be reasonable, exhibiting all mildness toward all men."
    IMO, it is not acceptable for a Christian to call someone ignorant with an aim to provoking or belittling them in some way. We can state our beliefs and why we have them but whether anyone else cares for that or is moved by what we say it totally their perogative. I don't think ignorance, what it actually means, comes into it really. Life's a choice.
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 9:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

I agree.  I think people misunderstand the meaning of the word.  It doesn't mean they're stupid, it just means they're uniformed, or unaware.

MemawBrie

Answer by MemawBrie at 10:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Why did you not include the context in which the word is being used? You are obviously referring to the other question where people referred to those who bashed their religions as ignorant. This isn't about people walking up to random strangers and calling them ignorant because of what religion they practice. It's about calling people out who think they have the right to bash people for not practicing the same religion they do.

What word would you prefer to refer to someone who says things like all JW's are possessed of satan or all Muslims are terrorists?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I don't support calling someone ignorant in a demeaning nature, though...
    __

this is more of what I am talking about. I still prefer to say uniformed or just the person does not know.

Again, that is just my way of looking at things. Yesterday I was helping my daughter with her algebra. She wasn't able to fully grasp one concept. She was unaware of the true purpose of this concept. I couldn't imagine myself calling her ignorant or saying you are ignorant on this concept lets review it one more time. Just too cruel to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• "Why did you not include the context in which the word is being used? "
    I have seen it used in many different context I am not targeting one specific example. The other post got me thinking.

:What word would you prefer to refer to someone who says things like all JW's are possessed of satan or all Muslims are terrorists? "

I don't think a person should say this or a person should JW are ignorant and Muslims are ignorant.

Do you think a JW or Muslim won't be offended by either of those statements?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Oct. 23, 2009