Any advice on preparing for daycare?? He starts MONDAY! Please help.

I am looking for anything that can make this transition go smoother. My son is almost 3 and has always stayed w/ family. I have NO CLUE what to be prepared for - like do I send extra clothes, shoes, a package of diapers each week or just pack a bag every day, etc.?? I seriously have no clue! Anything that you have experienced will help. I appreciate your time.

krysten78

Asked by krysten78 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My best advice is to spend all weekend loving and kissing him because you are going to miss him sooo much.
    Now the daycare that my girls go to they need a extra change of clothes, socks, and undies or a pack of dipers, wipes, blanket pillow and small stuffed animal for nap. Also If they don't arrive until after 8 they have to already have breakfast.
    I hope that helps, anything else you can always pm me. Good Luck!
    my2loves0607

Answer by my2loves0607 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I know :( it sucks to have to work!! I wish I could at least do part-time, but my job does not have that option. I am super nervous because he is starting out so late, and he is used to being the ONLY kid with one adult!! Boy is he in for a surprise! Thanks for taking your time to help.
    krysten78

Answer by krysten78 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Your welcome, anytime! He will be fine, it will take some time for him to get used to it, but he will do fine.
    my2loves0607

Answer by my2loves0607 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• DO NOT hang around at drop off!!! You can talk to her/them a bit but once you hand him off to her say good bye and leave. Even if he is crying. It really just makes things worse on her and him if you hang around a try to soothe him. If she is a good dcp he will stop crying within minutes of you leaving. As for the bag, I would ask her. I kept baskets with thier stuff in it because I didn't have a convient place to keep bags but she may have cubbies or something for his bag. Don't be scared to ask too many questions and let her know she can be open with you too. Don't get pissed if she says your ds had a bad day. Be open to discussion about how you both can deal with it. And good luck!
    Rowdyblues

Answer by Rowdyblues at 10:05 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I am already DREADING the whole drop off scene!! But you are right, once I leave he should be fine. I'm just afraid that the next few mornings he will be fighting me saying he does not want to go..??? What then?
    krysten78

Answer by krysten78 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• The first week may be hard, but he is going to have a great time. It's a lot of fun for kids to have so many others to play with. My kids LOVE it. Drop off a change of clothes and a package of diapers and wipes. She'll tell you when she's getting low. Talk it up to him like "You're going to have so many kids to play with!!" He'll be fine. It will be harder on you. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Thanks mompam, thats exactly what I was hoping to hear!! LOL, I needed that because I am like a basket case right now!! And my son is dancing around singing 'its a happy day'!! So its already worse on me than him!
    krysten78

Answer by krysten78 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I agree with my2loves0607.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 6:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I will first answer as a child care provider...

Have 2 FULL changes of weather appropriate, properly fitting clothes. Have diapers on hand for the week and wipes. When you drop off your child, give him a hug, a see you later , have fun and LEAVE!!!! Do NOT hang around, even if he is crying. He will stop quciker, if you make a fast drop off. Call later and find out how he is. Do NOT let him see you upset. IF there is a problem, the day care will call you. Let them do their job, they know how to handle first days and weeks.

Now, as a mom. Send a special treat for lunch. Send along a picture that he can hang or leave in his cubbie so when he is missing you, he can look at the picture. Make sure he has a special blanket to sleep with at nap. Make a fast exit and cry in the car, if need be. He will be ok and make lots of friends and cry when you pick him up because he is having so much fun.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• what daycare is he going to ?? my son has been going to la petite.. hes now in pre-preschool.. anyhow you may need to bring diapers, a few extra clothes basically anything they would need.. i know when my son goes to his daycare he needs a pair of extra clothes and underwear and his blanket and teddy... differant daycares are diff..
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 1:54 AM on Oct. 24, 2009