What would you have done if your cell phone fell in the toilet?

why? why? why? my dh bought his son a really nice cell phone he's had it for about one month come to find out he accicentally drops it in the toilet. Yes my dh got upset with him but yet he turns around and orders another bc he had insurance on it. I can't say nothing bc I don't want to argue but I think he should teach him a lesson first don't be so quick on replacing stuff. He is my ss and I love him but hey treat him the same as our own kids.

Am I being mean or selfish about this or should I just continue to keep quiet to avoid any problems I just try to keep busy. but still it makes me mad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would have gotten him a cheaper phone insurance or not.... you don't get the goood stuff if you can't be responsible with it. Once he keeps a phone for a longer ammount of time then I'd get him a better one.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• did he have to pay a $50 fee to replace it? i would have had the child do chores or yard work to pay for the cost of the phone. He should have to work off the cost of the phone before he gets it. I'm sure you need some housework or yard work done.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My son dropped his in the pool. We just took it apart and dried each piece. We left it on the sunny windowsill for a few days. It's fine now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:23 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• my sister in law is that way with her daughter,her kid goes threw a new phone a month.i probaly wouldnt jump in on this one but if it happens again i would step in. he has to learn respoipility and he is lucky he has a phone
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I would have replaced it. Accidents happened. That's why we have accidental insirance through Best Buys on my teens phones. It covers things like falling in to the toilet, being run over by a car (which has happened), being washed by accident, etc.. We pay $7 a month and if the phone has to be replaced we pay $0. Now, if there were a $50 replacement fee I'd make the teen pay for that but if there's no fee for it, it's not a big issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I agree with angelarirelan about this time and next time.I guess the toilet really could be an accident.my husband is very careful with his phones did this last summer with his new very nice phone.It was a smaller,thinner phone and somehow slid out.Talk to his dad about the next time plan and tell the son what will happen next time.Forewarned can sometimes head off problems.But I don't think you are wrong to be irritated.even though it was an accident I was little bit irritated with my husband.lol In the PAST he liked to brag how careful he was with everything.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Give the kid a break! It was an accident. One of my friends did the same thing a few weeks ago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Accidents happen. Last month I dropped my phone in the toilet. I had it in my pocket, went to the bathroom and picked my leg up to flush the toilet with my foot and my thunder thigh squeezed the phone out my pants and sploosh in the toilet it went as soon as I picked my leg up to flush. I didn't even feel it move in my pocket. I left the bathroom and reported it lost or stolen through my provider since the insurance does not cover water damage. They overnighted me a new phone for shipping cost since I don't have a deductible. I learned my lesson.

I'd just let him know there better not be a next time. If it happens again then he will be phoneless until he can get money to replace it at full face value. If he can't respect it then he doesn't need it.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 11:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I would be pissed. insurance or not what lesson is he learning? None. I also think its dumb that you dont tell your hubby how you feel because you dont wanna argue...............Marriage should have open communication. Why is this kids mom not helping replace the phone.
    Anonymous

• I dropped my phone in the toilet once b/c it was in a jacket pocket and when I stood up in fell right in the toilet! Accidents happen and if he is not usually disrespectful of things I would have replaced it right away too.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2009