Probiotics for 16 month old...

I have been giving my Lo Udos Choice Probiotics for a few months to boost his immune system.Has anyone used this before if not,what probiotics are you using?Also can I give this to him daily until the end of flu season or should you take some time off?Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

elismommy608

Asked by elismommy608 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I haven't used that one. And i only use them with my daughter when she has diahhrea to help control it or with yeast infections. I'm not sure it's effective against the flu, but may help with diahhrea and vomiting associated with the flu. Maybe ask your pedi about it. I'd imagine, like anything, too much can be a bad thing. You're putting live bacteria into his system. While it's good for times when his system needs a boost, if he is healthy, it *could* cause other problems, but I'm not trained in this area so best bet for the best advice is to call up y our doc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Probiotics don't do anything to boost the immune system. Children (especially children) shouldn't be taking supplements unless under the direction of a pediatrician. There IS such a thing as "too much of a good thing".

Probiotics are only needed if there is some sort of a stomach bug to help straighten things out. But other than that....it's not going to do anything for the respiratory system at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Probiotics do so much to help protect your immune system. Since your immune system is somewhere around 70% located in your digestive system, if you are taking probiotis and eating what your body needs (not over processed, sugary crap), then that means your immune system is going to be working the way it should be.

I have never heard of that specific brand of probiotics. Right now I'm taking ones from my holistic chiropractor, I believe the brand is Metagenics, but usually I get whatever my local health food store has, and I always make sure there are no bad ingredients. Jarrow is a great brand that most stores carry. I would just give daily, that's what I do for myself and my 2 year old (she's been on them since she stopped breastfeeding). I don't always remember everyday, but I try. If your son starts having very loose stools, you could go to just a few times a week, but they will definitely help his body!
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 11:59 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• We also give my son a daily probiotic. Since starting them, his skin has looked better (he has food allergies and eczema), his allergies are not as severe and he is overall a healthier toddler. I also got the probiotic from a holistic doctor, with the pediatrician's approval, so you will want to check with someone in the medical field to see what dose and brand you should use. They shouldn't take as much as an adult would.

Yes, it is a bacteria, but it is a good bacteria. Your body needs "good bacteria" to stay healthy. Probiotics are especially good for kids who are prone to having to use antibiotics.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 12:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2009