I have to give a speech on "Should HIV positive people be required to tell their employers" and

I am supposed to take the agreeing side, which I disagree with it, But I need opinions on If they should. What do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think they shouldn't for the same reason people hide pregnancy and do all the other things they do to get a job. Noone is going to hire you if they know you're sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I disagree also, but for agruing sake.
    If something happens to you at work, you get injuried and are unresponsive, it would help to know you are HIV positive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Ooh that is a hard one. I don't agree either. Maybe you can say something like they should tell their employers because if they are sick that means they will be missing alot of work to go to the doctor, they might not be feeling well, they won't be able to perform their duties because they might not be in most of the time. Wow it is really hard to come up with ideas when you don't agree with something. Maybe you can google "Aids patients should tell their employers or something. Good luck. I hope a helped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Tough one. I disagree as well. Only becuase I have a friend who is HIV Positive and she let one employer know and he harassed her. Yelled at her for setting her cup on the counter where he could have accidently picked it up and drank from it. She does tell them still, though. It's a matter of safety for the employees and herself. Should something happen, they need to know to take adequate or extra precautions and they need to know so the paramedics and hospital can be informed. It could impact their treatment. Also, when she's sick, the good employers are very nice and accomidating becuase they understand.
    Anonymous

• i say no its there business i think if there in a field were injury is common a general manager should know, and have the common decency to keep there mouth shut but thats not reality. i was fired from a job for getting pregnant, i know who it feels. i think u have a basic right to work in peace, hiv is not aids. if you have aids, thats different. you can have hiv for 10 or more years and never get sick.

i couldnt complain because my soon to be husband was working for the same employer and we couldnt afford to both be fired
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• as far as noticication to er staff medic alert braclet or necklace works
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I have HIV because an coworker had HIV. They were injured and bleeding. I ran over and helped them with no gear and had a cut on my hand. They did not tell me until a few months later they were HIV. I could have been on meds and gotten the help I needed. I did sue them for this and won. The person has a right to medical privacy but once they are going to harm someone by withholding that info they have crossed a line.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I also disagree,everyone is supposed to use universal precautions,but to argue for it,i would say yes they should be required to tell their employers because it could be considered a disability.Under diasability laws,the employer has to make reasonable accomodations,ie..time off for treatment,breaks during the day,or whatever is associated with this disability.
    rita-jo

Answer by rita-jo at 10:15 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I think if they are working with needles they should tell, they shouldnt be discrimated against, maybe they can use more protective gloves or something...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Only in the type of jobs that have to do with bodly fluids

Answer by louise2 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 23, 2009