Is the word "atheist" suppose to be capitalized like we capitalized Christian?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• depends who you ask i guess lol
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I think it depends on the context it's being used. I usually don't capitalize it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Then again I don't usually capitalize christian either.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:55 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• No it's not.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I capitolize Christian when I am talking about those who are born again Christians, I leave it lowercase when I am talking in more general terms. This is what I do for all religions, lower case.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:06 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• No. Christianity and Buddhism are capitalized because they are supposedly forms of someone's name.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• If you are referring to an individual or a group of individuals, (rather when it is used as a Noun) YES.
    If you are using it as an adjective, or a precursor to describe something relating to atheism than No.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• teamquinn, the purpose of capitalization isn't to give importance to those who agree with you.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 11:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 by: JulieJacobKyle
    No. Christianity and Buddhism are capitalized because they are supposedly forms of someone's name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are also proper nouns. This is really common English here. Any proper noun, i.e. JulieJacobKyle's example are to be capitalized. When used to give the name of a religion generally it is capitalized. When in the name of a group, it's capitalized...if you are using it in general terms i.e. atheist behaviors, then no. When you make the transition to it being a specific name then yes.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Anon @ 9:28 read teamquinn's entire post :-) She was not just saying Christians but hey sometimes we read what we want to see :-)

When its used to refer to someone yes when its a group no
    for example...

Jan is an Atheist.

Those people over there are atheists.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2009