Any chance someone on CM knows which is the oldest Catholic Church in the United States?

You can throw in the world if you want, but I am planning an East Coast vacation for the kids and they want to tour some older churches. I assume the oldest would be on the East Coast.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 10:55 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• the oldest church (in general) is in VA. I think somewhere near Windsor, or Suffolk County. If I remember correctly.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• The largest gothic style Catholic Church is St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City - I went in there - it is phenomenal...the stained glass takes your breath away...
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 11:09 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• St. Peter's in Lower Manhattan is the oldest in New York - I don't know about the US...
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 11:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• google it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• The first Catholic community (of Jesuists) was founded in Saint Augustine Florida is in 1565 - but the church that was there isn't still standing, but I think they may have some timber or something from it are persevered at the current Cathedral there.

The next older churches were founded by Spanish missionaries in California and New Mexico.

But on the East Cost oldest Catholic Church in America is located in Charles County Maryland called St. Ignatius Catholic Church, founded in 1641.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:29 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• "google it"

Google does not provide a definitive answer on this question.
    Anonymous

• The oldest church in America is San Miguel chapel in Santa Fe, built in the 1600's by the Tlaxcala Indians. The church was damaged in a Pueblo revolt in 1680 and was rebuilt in 1710.

Jewelzgirl

Answer by Jewelzgirl at 12:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• One of my coworkers recently visited St. Francis Xavier church in Maryland which was claiming to be the oldest Catholic church in America that is still standing. In Ohio we have 3 Catholic churches that claim to be the first in the Northwest Territory. So as you see, many make those kinds of claims, but it is often difficult to ferret out which was really "first" (this applies to many things of course, not just churches). I would suggest looking at the tourism sites of the cities/areas you will be visiting to see which churches they recommend to visitors.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Some of the most noted buildings in the district are located on the Plaza de la Constituci√ɬ≥n, the colonial community's focal point. Here are found the Government House (governor's residence, built 1713), Trinity Episcopal Church (1825), and the Basilica Cathedral of St. Augustine which incorporates the 1797 parish church and is one of the oldest Catholic religious buildings in the U.S.

Sorry this is in St. Augustine Florida considered one of the oldest cities in the US.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• But on the East Cost oldest Catholic Church in America is located in Charles County Maryland called St. Ignatius Catholic Church, founded in 1641.
    __

I didn't even know we had Catholics over here that long ago.

I think I will look into this one and St. Patrick's. We would like to visit Boston and New York as the two red dots and hit some sites in between.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2009