Hoow many ounces should I pump? (for my 9 day old son)

Ive been pumping and bf, my son does very well on the breast and with the bottle, no confusion, he has a thing for sucking and when I feed him on the brest, he falls right to sleep and then wakes up within an hour hungry for more, if I bottle feed him 2 oz of my milk, hes content and will sleep. Im worried Im not pumping enough or giving him enough milk. How many ounces should I be pumping to feed him at a time> 2 to 3 oz? He has normal bm and wet diapers. He has gas bad, you can hear his farts in the other room...is that normal? Help Im a new mommy hes 9 days old and Im clueless to so much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2 oz is about right, and he should get hungry again in 1 to 2 hours (my experience). as he gets bigger he will demand more and your BM will keep up. Just keep him latch on when you can to produce more milk. My son is now 2 months old was born 7.4 lbs, now he is doubled his size, breastmilk is the best!
    masipagwapa

Answer by masipagwapa at 11:39 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Its just generally on demand. Personally, I find it easier to just nurse. But if you are going to use bottles, 2 oz increments is what you should store. If he's wetting enough, he's eating enough. I say, if you don't NEED to pump, don't. But we all have different needs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I agree with the other two posters said. As far as the gas - that's normal in my house. My daughter's BM's are noisy, too. I can tell the difference between gas and BM, but my husband can't. At least not yet anyway. LOL!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• In a 24 hour period he should drink 2 to 2.5 ounces per pound of body weight. Its hard to calculate when bf but hopefully the info helps.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• If he doesn't need a bottle, I wouldn't advise giving one this early- wait until you have a good nursing relationship established. That said, 1.5-2 oz combined is considered normal pump output.
    He is supposed to nurse every hour or so- that is him telling your body to increase the production for the inevitable growth spurt. You don't actually need to pump and top him off to make sure he is getting enough. 6-8 wet/poopy diapers in 24 hours= enough milk is being produced. Check out one of the breastfeeding groups on here- they are all knowledgeable and can help you with any nursing questions.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2009