For those you live off your child support, don't you feel guilty?

I have to do this for a month until I start getting regular paychecks. I hate the fact that my ex is supporting me and I can't even get my son's haircut or buy him socks. My ex has been great helping with my bills and stuff but I feel awful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Dont feel guilty. It took the two of you to make him so it should be the two of you supporting him physically and monetarily. As for this current month, think of it this way: he isnt there everyday taking care of your son physically. He needs to pick up the slack another way, even if its monetary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Yes, I would feel VERY guilty...both parents should be able to provide support for their child. You are lucky that he is such a good man...he could probably get custody if you can't support yourself let alone your child.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 11:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• There is no reason to feel guilty. You can do whatever you want with child support and NO ONE can tell you what to do, not your ex and not the government.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:45 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• No, dont feel guilty. He may be your ex but you are the mother of his child. If you need help and he is willing to than be happy that you have an ex who cares enough about your well being(at least for the sake of your child).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• October's Mom does not know what she is talking about and it's called alimony if it's for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• He could never get custody just because you are poor. My third pregnancy left me medically and physically disabled and I can't work. Before I got SSI, during the application process, we lived on child support from my first and second husbands. I was poor and disabled and still got and kept sole custody of my children.

I took care of a premie from a wheelchair. I nursed the baby in the hospital when I had pneumonia and septicemia. I took care of my kids when I was on home IV antibiotic therapy for 3 weeks. I had to have IVs all day once every 3 weeks from the time the baby was born and I learned to do it myself so I could do it at home and take care of the kids.

People brought us food when we didn't have any. Home care nurses, physical therapists, and other medical people were in our home all the time and there was never a time when I may have lost custody.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• October's Mom is wrong and it's called alimony if it's for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• CHILD support is for the child not you.
    IF you are getting alimony then no I wouldnt feel guilty,
    If you cant take care of your child tho with out your ex giving you the money for everything then ya Id feel guilty.
    You said you were waiting for a regular check? How long til that?
    Also Yes if you cant afford to take care of the child then legally your ex can in fact get custody and you would be the one with visitation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• OP-I will get my 1st check around Nov. 15th.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I wouldnt worry to much about it at least you are really trying. There are some moms that just try really living off of child support.
    I say goo for you !
    Be proud of yourself. If he is just being nice to help then he is at least a good man in that sense
    ANON 56
    Anonymous