I have no idea what's wrong with my son!

My son has slept thru the nice for a year and now for the past couple of weeks, he gets up several times a night. Last night, he didn't actually sleep until two in the morning. He's got this night cough thing going on. I put vicks on him and gave him pineapple juice, but he couldn't have cared less. Last night, I even gave him cough medicine (which I never do) to help him sleep. I have no idea what's going on with the poor little guy. Any ideas? Is if just a phase maybe?

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• They are warning now not to use Vicks on children under 2.

If he has a cough it's bothering him and he can't sleep. Could it be post-nasal drip? Seasonal allergies? Does anyone smoke in the home? Does smoke get in from another apartment?

It could be asthma. Some people with asthma cough more that wheeze.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Is he just starting to really talk? Kids do go through a coughing phase when they're starting to talk. Other than that, it could be a cold, a mild allergy...have you tried a humidifier?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Does he get up and cry or just get up?
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• He's coughing at night and having trouble sleeping. What does your doctor say about it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I've done the humidifer and he is two. And i'm using baby vicks. No, he's been talking for awhile now. Noone smokes in the house and the place next to ours is empty. He gets up and crys. This is just at night when he crys or coughs.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• He hasn't been to a doctor for a check up in 18 months. They're pointless. His doctor that I like and she's the only one I trust is an hour and a half away. Why would I take him to the doctoer for a cough? He's had no fever.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• When my son was little he used to get a cough instead of wheeze when he would get a virus. It was diagnosed as asthma and I treated it myself with homeopathy. Look into homeopathy to help you. Good luck. :)
    Oh and be careful. Some insurances are dropping kids that have not been going in for well child check ups.
    Anonymous

• I don't know about the cough but both of kids used to do the getting up constantly/not going to sleep when they had ear infections, so you might want to check that out. My kids wouldn't pull on their ears or get fevers they just would be up at night crying from their ears hurting.
    dolphinz1923

Answer by dolphinz1923 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• "Why would I take him to the doctoer for a cough? He's had no fever."

Because it could be asthma which means he's not getting enough oxygen...it could mean an ear infection which would need antibiotics (my son has never had a fever with any of his multiple ear infections)....it could be a LOT of things that would require medical intervention. If it's been going on for WEEKS and isn't getting better than he needs to be seen! My goodness! Even the cough syrup bottle says to see a doctor if a cough persists longer than 7-10 days! Please take your child to the dr.
    Anonymous

• O.K. this cough has been going on for several weeks and you don't see that you need to take him to a dr. Your child either has asthma or an alergy. Getting a humidifier will help. Getting age appropriate alergy or asthma medicine will help even more. Your child is not getting enough rest, that sets him up for learning problems, permenent sleep disorders, poor growth, and weakens the immune system. Ether find a doctor closer or bite the bullet and take him the long way to see the one you do like.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2009