do you believe in "crying it out"?

Under what conditions, any exceptions.... how long? what worked for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• umm yes and it does work.. ujust have to know how to do it and get ready for lots of bashing and shit talking on this one k good luck some will call it abuse but it is not
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I made the mistake of co-sleeping. While I think it's a good thing to do, it's also hard to get them to sleep in their own beds when it's time. In order for my son to get used to his bed, he had to "cry it out." I never let him go over 20 minutes. And if he starts coughing, I'd let him up. Sometimes they just have to learn how to figure things out on their own.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Never!

http://drbenkim.com/articles-attachment-parenting.html
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• yes, it worked for me...and ditto on firstimemomm603
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 11:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Gail-that's not a reliable source.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• LOL, not a reliable source? What does that mean? There are only opinions on this subject, either you are for CIY or your for attachment parenting or whatever else there is... anyone's opinion is as credible as the next. I for one heavily lean towards attachment parenting, and that is my choice based on what I've read but mostly based on the fact that for me it feels right. That being said, if you chose CIY method, I don't think your children are being abused by any stretch. I think we all have different philosophies on parenting.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• No it goes against every instinct that i have to let my children CIO. My two year old is a very independent child that co-slept for the first 14 months of his life..he has never had sleep issues in his life, transitioning him to his own room was a breeze. My 7 month old is an awesome sleeper without ever letting her cry. Its nonsense that co-sleeping causes issues later in their lives and its nonsense that CIO works, it doesn't work for a lot of kids and for those who it did work with: the babies gave up! Its a shame that parents wont look for better options.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• i dont i know im a new mommy my baby is 4 weeks old but i would not stand just letting my baby cry. if i can't handel it then i ask my hubby to take her while i take a breather, but i never would let them cry it out, for one its too hard to hear her cry and i always think that they just want to be comforted, if you dont then they "may" go up with abandonment issues.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I'm not totally against it. I don't want to do it, but when done correctly, I don't think it's that bad. For us, I'd rather try other methods first, and use that as more of a last resort. I also think it shouldn't be used until the baby is closer to at least 3 or 4 months old.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• If you know your child is not in need of something or there is nothing you can do to help i see no harm in cio. Sometimes they just need to cry i believe. And sometimes giving them a few min alone to cry helps. Its all a matter of opinion. Do wht you are comfortable with mama but if not done constantly i believe it wont hurt the little one.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2009