Why is my cat peeing on the carpet?

She's been an excellent cat up until now. lol She still is but I can't handle cat pee smell. Yuck! Her litter box was clean and only a room away and so far she has peed on the carpet twice. Any ideas? I'm getting ready to clean it with a steam cleaner with vinegar in it.

Rowdyblues

Asked by Rowdyblues at 11:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pets

• she may be sick. My MIL's cat peed everywhere in their insanly clean house. It smelled so bad. MIL even used expensive cleaner. The cat was a persian. And they r known for having bad hearts. When a cats health is bad they so you by not using the litter box.
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• It could be several differant things but you need to have her checked by the vet because it could be a bladder infection or something more serous. I had a cat who passed last year that had a condition that caused her to produse to many struvite chrystals in her in her urine and that made her pee all over the house. Gross yes, but she had not control of that until she was diagnosed and we could put her on special food to correct the problem.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I agree with checking her out at a vet. In the mean time, don't fight the problem. Go to the dollar store and buy several cheap trays and litter and place them in all the rooms. This way she won't have to feel bad if it's really not her fault and she can't help it.
    ny_momof3

Answer by ny_momof3 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I would go ahead and take her to the vet, and do what a pp said, buy multiple cheap trays. I'd also keep all laundry baskets out of her reach (if they aren't already) closets and drawers closed, and keep bedroom doors shut. My cat had a urinary infection and he would pee everywhere, even our bed.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Have there been any changes recently that might have upset her (new baby, moving, someone new in the house, etc.)? Also, our cat started spraying when the neighbor cat started hanging around outside our house.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:33 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• my cat is 17 years old. She is quite prone to urinary tract infections. I bet your cat is trying to send you this very message. I use FeliAWay spray and the prug-in to combat future urine problems. It works pretty well. I love my cat. She is my first (of the non-human variety) baby. I want to keep her as long as I can!
    TamW

Answer by TamW at 10:27 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Because cats are evil. That's my answer and I'm sticking to it. We have three cats and no matter how many boxes we've set out, how clean they are, one of them insists on peeing in front of my fish tank, or on anything that happens to be dropped on the floor by the litter box. Plastic bags are her favorite thing to pee on. She's healthy, happy, and well loved---but still occasionally pees in inappropriate places. Still, have your cat checked out, she may have a medical issue. Or she just might be evil like mine.

Vinegar works for the smell, and while I don't normally like or use commercial cleaning products, Kids 'n' Pets works the best at getting rid of the deep down smell.

shesajar

Answer by shesajar at 11:08 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• to shesajar-- 'cats are evil'-- I love it! Sounds like my 2 doofus cats. Gotta love 'em though.

To the OP-- since this is a new behavior I would take the cat to the vet and have her checked out for bladder infection/UTI. When I adopted my boy cat from the pound he would pee everywhere- chairs, floors, laundry, even the bed-- cause he had a bladder/kidney infection.

Has she had any changes lately-- like a change in litter, or her box moved to a different location? Cats can be quite picky about their litterbox.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Most common reason is a UTI. Kitty needs to see the vet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• We moved a few weeks ago and she keeps peeing in the same exact spot so I'm guessing its confusion. I was hoping cleaning it would fix it but I think we are going to have to put a litter box there. I'm not fond of the idea of having a litter box in the livingroom but its better than peed on carpet.

lol Yes cats are evil, that is why they are so freaking cute!
    Rowdyblues

Answer by Rowdyblues at 10:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2009