how do i get my 4 year old to sit still and lisson

i try so hard to teach him how to write his name and learn is colors and his numbers.dut he just will not sit still and lisson to me for anything i even tryed to bribe him it dont work.

mommymary23

Asked by mommymary23 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• WTF is lisson?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Lisson? Do you mean obey?

A four year old does not need to sit still and learn to write or learn colors or numbers. If you want him to learn these things there are many ways for him to learn that are fun and creative.

You may want to read about Thomas Armstrong and multiple intelligences and the 8 different ways to teach anything. You can google it to find lots of info.

There is lots of time for your son to learn to write his name. First he can learn to recognize it in print. You can get blocks with letters and spell it out. Make a sign for his door. Use his name in lots of ways.

Talk about colors in daily life. "Look at the red balloon." You can use blocks with numbers and use counting in everyday activities.

Sitting down to learn is the worst method for a young child.

It sounds like you may need help with English. You might consider taking an adult ed course at your local high school.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Does he recognize all of his letters yet? Does he know the sounds letters make? If not, he's not ready to write words yet anyway.

As for colors, shapes, numbers and letters...learning them is better through play. He shouldn't be expected to sit still and LISTEN for any real length of time. Even in preschool for 4 year olds the schedule is such that there is very little time where they are expected to sit still any longer than the time it takes to read a story. They don't learn by sitting and being lectured at the age of 4.
    Anonymous

• I bought the colored cups at the dollar store and would ask my kids what color cup they wanted. Letter magnets on the fridge. Draw a letter on a piece of paper and have them make a picture with it. Count steps to the bathroom or bedroom. Play I Spy in the car (I see something that is... green). 4 is still young. There are kids in my sons first grade class that don't know all their letters or letter sounds yet (I don't suggest that, but they are still considered "normal"). Take it slow and be patient, and stop the bribing. It will only lead to bad things in school. Make it fun and he will learn.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• When speaking to someone that age. you must get to the point make it short and simple. then let him try to write it down, show you colors, and tell you the numbers.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 6:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My son is four and he is able to sit and play games on the computers. He knows his numbers and colors and his name etc. I'm a SAHM so, I can teach him. I read to him 1hr. or more aday and I play with him. He loves the outdoors to and I think it's important for him to enjoy being outside. My son loves to learn. He will sit still if I play with him and show him stuff in a different ways. He is into his shapes and sizes now. He can cut out anything. You just have to make it fun and do the same thing every single day... at the same time. Boys have to stay on the move and that is a fact... Just test him while he is playing outdoors. Ask him questions and etc.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• He needs to be able to draw different types of lines and shapes before he can form letters. He needs to have small muscle strength and control before he can write his name. He is 4, they , don't know how to sit still and LISTEN for more than about 10 minutes. Also, stop pushing him. He will write his name, learn his colors, numbers, etc when he is ready. If you push him, he will NOT do anything. I teach 4 year olds everyday and you have to know when to switch activities because they aren't working. ALL children learn differently. READ to him for atleast 20 minutes a day, let him pick out the books. Point out letters, shapes, colors, etc when at the store, resturant. Let him be a kid and play. Kids learn best by just playing. That is what they do best. Play games, make learning fun.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2009