2 part question for Muslim moms.

I am watching Degrassi. There are 2 Muslim characters on the show, brother and sister.
In this Episode, the boy is dating a girl who is not Muslim. He told a secret to her friend that in a few years, his parents are going to arrange his marriage to a Muslim girl. She got upset, told his girl friend and the girlfriend confronted him. He said his parents will do that, but he still has to like the girl and if they are together when that happens still, he will fight that battle when it comes to be with her. What would you do if this was your child?

And with the girl, she goes to school with no makeup, dresses in skirts and long sleeves and wears a headscarf, but when she gets into school, she takes it off, wears normal clothes and makeup. What would you do in that situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is the OP:
    Yeah, they are saying they are Muslim, but not doing things that they are supposed to (like dating, the guy doesn't want to let his parents know, and in another episode, same with the girl, she starts acting kinda slutty sneaking into a guys tent on a camping trip, and she doesn't wear what she does at school infront of her parents)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Well i am muslim. Muslim children in america have it really hard. They see and experience all kinds of indecency from everyone around them (this includes all religions and those who have no religion). however, i will say that much of it comes from wanting to be like everyone else. Many muslim children/teens do not go through this. I know plenty that take the convenant with God seriously and don't care what others are doing.

1. my daughter will choose her own husband... however he must be religious and come from a religious family who we will check into thorougly. And this is if she continues with Islam when the time comes .. if she doesn't then as parents we can only hope that she falls into the right situations and ask God to guide her.

2. the second situation is much like the same in the first... trying to fit in while in school.. isn't surprising. but if i knew about it..i would speak to her and show her more isla
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• islamic tradiitions, and ettiquitte.

when i was growing up... i was catholic.. and i did plenty of things against my parents wishes and the churches stances...

my mother caught me once wearing make up in school and being in tight jeans.. she punished me.. this is not something that is specific to muslim children.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Parents are to direct, rear and raise kids.. Not let them do what they want anon! otherwise they can parent themselves! You can dictate what you do with your child..but u can't dictate what others do with theirs. if more parents were involved perhaps we wouldn't have teen abuse, or teen drug addicts.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• 1. I am going to try my best to teach my boys Islam. God willing they will practice it. There is no dating and this will be clear to them. I will not arrange their marriage but if I know a single Muslim girl, I would suggest her.

If he chooses a non-Muslim girl I hope that she believes in one God with no partners. If she does, I don't have any problem with it.

They have to make their own choices and I will make sure they know where choices take us in the afterlife.

2. I have 4 boys. IF I had a daughter I would not force her to wear the hijab. I would expect her to not wear makeup and dress modestly however. If she didn't, I would take away privileges and if that didn't work look into Islamic school if possible.

If my children went on a path that was not pleasing to God I would constantly pray and try to be a good example.
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 1:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I'm so tired of these shows making muslims looked forced to follow islam. I grew up muslim and all my friends were muslim. We were happy to cover we felt respected and protected. We watched non muclim girls be abused and used. Crying every other day about ending a relationship distracted from school because of there relationships. Showing up to school with hang overs. The teachers always used us as examples. I had lots of clean fun in highschool without dating drinking or any drugs and got good grades. So did all my friends. Infact my own mother didnt cover but my sisters and I chose to. Any teen who would go to school and do that obviously their parents didnt teachj them islam correctly. And the arranged marriage thing is a cultural thing nothing to do in islam. As parents is our jobs to make sure and children grow up to be goood muslims and marry good muslims. It is not own job to force them .
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I'm not saying all non muslims drink and so on. I'm just saying by following our religion it made things easier. If a muslim girl goes to school and uncovers her parents obviously didn't teach her correctly. Parents can not force their child to cover. As muslims we have to make them want to on their own. By explaining the reasons.
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Also lol I didn't know we wore abnormal clothing. When the op said she then changed into normal clothes. I wore name brands and shopped at the storeS all my classmates did just covered and if something was short sleeves I wore a cotton shirt under it.
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 6:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009