Do your kids ever get random fevers that don't last very long?

All day yesterday my son had diarrhea and was lethargic. Last night, his temperature got up to 102. All night long he was very warm and was having a hard time breathing (he also has asthma). This morning he's still breathing heavy, but his fever is gone. Completely gone. His temp is down to 97.7, which is what his usually is. Do you think he had a tummy virus he was fighting? If so, why was he having such a hard time breathing? I just don't get it.

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• 1st: You are not overreacting. I think 102 is high as well. I would have been worried about my DS if he had a temp that high w/ or w/o other symptoms. Honestly it may have been a random short lived virus.

2nd: Yes my DS has had random fevers w/o other symptoms that last 12-24 hrs. The fevers were low -grade and never went above 100. I haven't medicated on these occurances. I just monitor him.

I hope you little guy feels better. You may want to put a call into the doc since he has asthma and was breathing heavier than normal.
    irishmama1007

Answer by irishmama1007 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Well, the first thing I'd say is 'put down the thermometer and walk away from the numbers.'

102 is not a fever, it's a mildly elevated temperature, probably either activity-related or just related to your boy's circadian rhythms (the patterns of temperature changes, appetite changes and sleep needs that vary all day). It's normal to be warmer before sleeping.

If you're not charting his temperature every hour, making notes about what he's been doing right before it, and then comparing week to week variations, you're not seeing the whole picture... but you do seem to be getting a little hypochondriac-ish...

A mild temperature elevation may be a symptom of mild dehydration (give him a glass of water). That may also explain his difficulty breathing.

He may have 'walking' pneumonia --characterized by a mild fever, pale skin, difficulty breathing and low energy (because the lungs have too much yuk in them).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:46 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• All kids get high temps every once in a while. Its normal... calm down!
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 12:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Who said I was freaking out? I was asking a simple question! I cannot believe how rude both of you are!!!

My kid never gets fevers like that. And yes, 102 IS a fever when your temp is usually 97ish. Even when he had pneumonia and ear infections, he NEVER had a temp higher than 100, so I know what I'm talking about and I'M NOT AN IDIOT like you think I am. You don't know me or my son. My son ALWAYS runs around for at least five hours a day. For him to not want to run around, or jump on the trampoline for at least 15 minutes tells me something is wrong.

Okay, I have to walk away now, or I may say something I'll regret.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Yes, he had a little 24 hour bug. My kids have had fevers and absolutely NO other symptoms.

The difficulty breathing could have been from the fever and maybe he was/is a little dehydrated. I probably would have put in a call to the doctor's help line...mine have asthma, too. The key is, he's feeling better, his fever is down (but I would continue to monitor him) and as long as the diarrhea is gone...just give him a couple of days before you expect him to be back to his old self.

Temperatures at night do tend to be a little higher, but only a degree or so. If he is in daycare or preschool he has to be kept home for another 24 hours. (schools here want them kept home if temperature is over 100, other symptoms or not)

You're not over reacting and you're not a hypochondriac.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Answered at 10:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2009 by:

* TiccledBlue.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• You are a normal mom. Some kids run temos more often then other. temps mean they are fighting off something. I usually try to let the temp run for a while so it fights off whatever it is fighting as long as my child is not in pain.
    Good Luck I hope he feels better soon!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I agree, that was a fever. Coupled with the stomach problems, he obviously was fighting something. I used to let fevers run for a little while but it depends on the child. With asthma, I have no experience. You know your child better than any of us. Glad he's better. A call to the doctor will probably tell you that other children in the area might have had the same thing.
    ny_momof3

Answer by ny_momof3 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Thank you so much for the nice responses!!!! I usually don't give meds for a fever unless it's above 102, and it was EXACTLY 102, so I didn't give him anything. I guess his body just fought off the bulk of whatever was going on. He's still wiped out today and breathing really heavily, but nothing to be concerned about. It was just really surreal, I've never dealt with that before. If his fever spikes again tonight, I may call the dr tomorrow, they have sick clinics on Saturdays.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Just thought I'd update you. He has croup AND a double ear infection. The croup I believe didn't start till last night. That's when the barking cough began, but it's been working up to that for awhile. He'd been battling an ear infection for about a month and a half now, and it keeps coming back. He didn't show signs of pain in his ears, so I didn't even think of that.

So much for needing to "calm down" and being "hypochondriac-ish"

Now who's the idiot? Sorry, I just had to say that.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2009