Can anyone give me simple, A, B, C steps on becoming a nurse? REALLY need answers, please!

I have my high school diploma and a certification in childbirth education and that's it. I've never applied to a college and have zero college credits. I've decided to start studying now so that when my family is done growing and all my kids are getting to be school aged, I can start a carreer as a nurse-midwife. Currently that is a master's degree, but will probably require a doctoral degree before I can finish the program. That's all fine, but I'm having a REALLY hard time turing up any straightforward information on what my first step is. I know I will have some general studies and some remedial math work to do (I slacked off on math, which is not my strong suite in high school). I'd like to do as much of this online as I can, since I'm a mother. It will allow me to work through the degree program faster and be home with my daughter (and, eventually, more kids) in the meantime. What do I do first? What's the next step?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It doesn't matter if it's a community college. They may actually have a good nursing program. All you need to do is get your 2 year degree and RN. While you are in school it is great if you can get a job as a patient care tech in L&D. Then when you graduate you should be able to get a job in L&D.

When my son was in nursing school he didn't even get to see a normal birth. He got to see a c-section because he want to and was in the right place at the right time.

After you have your 2 year degree you can go to a college that has a 2+2 program for the BSN or you can do it all online. Most people do it all online. For most CNM programs you have to have experience working in L&D before you can apply.

There are other things you might consider. Physicians assistants can deliver babies. In Arizona it is very easy to become a Licensed Midwife and do homebirths. It's a great place to live.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• First step would be to contact your local college and see what they offer and if they offer a RN program. I had to do my pre-reqs first. That included all my english, psych, biology, micro, math etc.. Then I waited a year, then I started by nursing classes. I started Jan 06, and I will graduate Dec 09. After my associates I can do all on-line for my BA and Masters if I want..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• i had to take cna classes even before i stated the nursing classes. i got my cna through work...i think different colleges do it differently might be better off ask a representative at the college you want to attend. good luck
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Thanks. I tried to get an appointment with an advisor, and they gave me a pamphlet and told me to apply to the college. Did that, but I'm still unclear. I want to know what they're going to make me do. GOD I wish I had more tahn a lame community college here :(
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2009