please help

how can i get my almost 1 year old to stop hitting, whenever i hold her she is constantly hitting me in the face.

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is almost 10 months old. When he starts touching us we tell him to be "nice." When he gets rough, we take his hands, tell him "no," and show him to touch nice. Just trying to teach him by repetitively showing him what we want him to learn. However, he's only 9.5 months old. Usually, he'll stop what he's doing and look up and grin or laugh at us. However, he is old enough to know though, when he hurts us, and we say "ow" he gets put down away from Mommy or Daddy. When we say "ow" and he does what he was doing, he doesn't get to be by us anymore. I'd like to think he's picking up on it. I'm biased though and in denial as I'm head over heels for the little guy. We make sure our family members do the same thing as we do too.
    appleofhzi

Answer by appleofhzi at 1:27 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• when she hits say no or don't hit and put her down. just keep repeating and she will eventually understand.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 12:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Hold onto her hands. You're stronger than she is.

One of the misunderstandings adults have about kids is their ability to do 'mean' things.

She is not a short, cute adult, capable of thinking like an adult. Your daughter is no doubt tremendously advanced for her age, already living on her own and grocery shopping or whatever, but her brain is undeveloped, compared to an adult.

When she's 12, she'll begin to understand abstractions like 'how would you feel if...' When she's about 7, she'll begin to understand that the ball falls to the ground every single time it's dropped, even if 'it doesn't feel like it.' Somewhere between 2 and 3, she'll begin to understand how to follow a moving target, where to step and how to change course.

Presently she lacks the ability to form intent --that is, to understand how to hurt someone intentionally. Even the courts get this.

She needs you to watch her and to stop her.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2009