is it safe to use castor oil to induce labor

missheidilinn19

Asked by missheidilinn19 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The nurses at labor and delivery told me they knew when a woman took castor oil because they had horrible vomiting and diarrhea, and usually no baby coming out.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 12:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• It's often suggested when a mom is postdate. Like any remedy or induction drugs, the more mom is already teetering on the brink of labor, the more likely it is to "work" (or be a coincidence).
    I read that studies say it works almost half the time. The side-effects are pretty severe for some! I can say: WORSE than labor.
    The biggest point though, is that if a mom and baby are not ready for labor & birth, why is mom forcing things?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• No it's not safe. It can cause baby to have his/her first bowl movement inside which can be dangerous. Not worth the risks at all.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• i did it with my first. I was 2 weeks late and i had my baby no later than 5 hours after taking that stuff. Would i do it again NO! I had abruption so bad... i bleed everywhere and i mean huge clots. I dont know if that is what caused it but i do know that i had a healthy pregnancy till that happened and i ended up having a c-section. I also had really bad cramps too...So, pls pls pls.. just wait till ur baby is ready..calm down..do some cleaning, organize and get things ready. Your baby will be here in no time :) GL
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Most stories I've heard about castor oil experiences are usually pretty bad.

Why would you want to induce labor to begin with? Your body and the baby usually knows when it's time to come out....
    Munchkin09

Answer by Munchkin09 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2009