Question regarding excess fluids?

I am 29 weeks pregnant, yesterday I had an ultrasound and the ultrasound tech quickly printed some pictures and took off out of the room saying she needed to talk to the dr. Turns out I have excess fluid, she said since I dont have GD it maybe a birth defect, or possibly nothing. Im wondering if anyone knows what birth defect would cause excess fluids? There bringing me back in for another ultrasound in a week, but im worried and nothing I can find on the internet really says anything about my situation.

Ad3n_M0mmy01

Asked by Ad3n_M0mmy01 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• This is from the March of Dimes website

Polyhydramnios is diagnosed with ultrasound. Medical experts do not fully understand what causes this condition. In 2 out 3 cases, the cause is not known. Here are two of the best-known causes:

Birth defects in the baby that affect the ability to swallow. Normally, when the fetus swallows, the level of amniotic fluid goes down a bit. This helps to balance out the increase in fluid caused by fetal urination.

Heart defects in the baby.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/188_1044.asp

I hope all is OK with your baby. If not you have found out early and can make arrangement so your baby can get the care needed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Most of the time excess fluid is nothing. And ultrasounds are notoriously horrible at estimating how much fluid is actually there. Don't worry so much. Even if there IS something wrong (and that's a big, huge, GINORMOUS if) then worrying about it will only stress you out. Take a deep breath, feel your sweet baby moving inside you and know that no matter what, you will love him and everything will be fine :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• im only 5 weeks and 3 days right now and i have some excess fluid too.. i have no idea were it came from. all you can do is realxe and hope and pray for the best. and even if there is a birth defect all you can do is love and get over it. i will pray that everything is fine for you and yours.but relaze mamma.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 12:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I hope it's nothing serious.   Ultrasounds are not always accurate.   :- /

Here is a story about a misdiagnosis that got to me:   Mother Rails Against Ultrasound - FROM RONNIE Falcão's MIDWIFE ...

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2009