Trying to figure this out...

I just started feeding my four month old son cereal today. I mixed 1 tablespoon with 1 ounce of breast milk. He only ate about half and then just kept spitting it out so I ended up topping him off with a little bit of breastmilk. Should I make the cereal thinner or thicker so he'll eat it all? Should I make less? Also, how do I keep his hands out of the way while I'm feeding him? He keeps grabbing the spoon and then the cereal just gets all over his bib.

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 12:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try to make it thin. The point of feeding the cereal is to teach good eating habits. If he doesn't eat it all its not really a big deal, he gets pretty much all of his nutrition from breastmilk. It takes patience. It will get easier over time. I wouldn't give up, after about a month he will get used to feeding time and will enjoy eating. You will thank yourself later for putting in the time to teach him how to eat and chew properly.
    Anonymous

• I always made it thin at first, maybe try a bottle with a feeder nipple.
    Anonymous

• You don't need to feed your baby cereal. You can wait longer to start solids, closer to 6 months. If you really want to start now you can start with mashed banana or sweet potato and see how that goes. For info on how to start solids go to

www.kellymom.com

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Or you could avoid giving it to him at all.

Cereals were fed to babies whose mothers had died in childbirth, when there were no wet nurses available. Cereals became commercially available when formulas were first developed because they were lacking in so many nutrients and so high in minerals that children fed nothing but formula for months died of malnutrition or kidney failure.

Breastmilk is the only food your son needs until he weans naturally. Early introduction of solid foods (contrary to 'logic' and other misinformation) increase the risk of iron-deficiency anemia to the point that at 2 it is easy to tell the difference between kids who didn't get solids until around a year from the kids who were given them before 4 months: the earlier solids are introduced, the less able the baby's gut is to absorb iron from any source, th more anemic the baby.

There is ample iron in breastmilk, and it is highly absorbable.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• you should make it really thin at first because it will be too hard for him to swallow and too much on his digestive system. once he starts spitting it out though, and turning his head, that is his way of letting you know he is full. maybe you should make smaller amounts and if he still hungry just feed him like you usually would. as far as the messes are concerend. babies make messes. there is no way you can stop him from making a mess. maybe try feeding him when he is in just a diaper. and put a plastic mat under his highchair. so when hes done you can just rinse off the mat and put him in the bath. you can try telling him no, but at four months he wont understand. but you can try. just push his hands away and gently say, no. good luck. let me know how it workds for you.
    krisew90

Answer by krisew90 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• 4 months is considered a little early for a bf baby. They still have a strong tongue extrusion reflex, which causes the pushing out food behavior, and their tummies may not be ready for anything but bm yet- try to wait until six months. You will know he is developmentally ready when he can sit unsupported, does not push things out with his tongue, and pulls his lower lip in when you pull a spoon out of his mouth(if he won't let the spoon in to begin with, he is not ready). He may not want solids until later. If he refuses to try, wait a week or two, then try again. Also, make sure you nurse before giving any solids- if you give solids first he will get full faster and frequently doing that will negatively affect your supply. Solids are considered "practice" for bf babies; only after nursing and never if they refuse it- they do not need it to be haelthy or gain weight. That is what the bm changes for- to meet their needs
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2009