What to do?

My son keeps pulling the blankets over his face when he's sleeping. I check on him constantly during the day but at night, I'm losing sleep because I'm worried he'll smother himself with his blanket. Any suggestions?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 12:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just dont use a blanket. Dress him in a one peice, and make shure his rooms a good temp. Thats all he needs. No blankets.
    ness_033

Answer by ness_033 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• maybe dress him in a outfit that is like a blanket and keep the house warm so he dont have to use one?
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Don't put a blanket on him.

Put him in a blanket sac type sleeper or other warm sleeper. Some of the swaddle blankets are safe for sleep. Don't swaddle him in a regular blanket. Don't keep him too warm, that is a risk factor for SIDS.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• If he can pull them onto himself while he's sleeping, he can pull them off himself while he's sleeping, too.

His head may be getting cold. Sleeping in a cool room is a good idea, but if he's relatively hairless, he may not be able to keep his head a comfortable temperature. A soft hat may solve all your problems.

Also, he may be dressed too lightly or the blankets may be letting too much heat out for him to stay comfortable without being completely covered. Maybe warmer sleepers and a heavier or warmer blanket?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• ^ 'to the last answer' - No hats while sleeping that is dangerious!!,
    Anonymous

• If the blanket is heavy enough that he could smother, it shouldn't be in the crib in the first place!!!! But then, I've never seen a blanket heavy enough that it alone could smother anyone.

I mean, it's really a no brainer. If you think something is a danger to the baby...then don't give it to the baby!
    Anonymous

• my son does the dame thing. what i do is put the blanket up to his chest. but low enough where he cant grab it and pull it up. like around his belly button area. because we keep it warm in our apartment but it can only be so warm. and because its becoming winter i want to make sure he is warm. but he also has a security blanket which he constantly puts on his face. but it is small enough that its too hard to smother himself. so i give him his blanket when i lay him down and pull the covers up to his middle.
    krisew90

Answer by krisew90 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• duh!!!! Need I say more
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 3:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• how about you swaddle him and just leave his hands out that way he cant pull the blanket up anywhere but can still move around a little bit
    Anonymous

• He probably likes the soft fabric on his face. My DD is like that. I'd give him one of those waffle-y type blankets. He can breathe through them if they're over his face. Also, I've put a small, soft pillow in my daughter's crib. She loves it! She strokes it,s leeps on it, hugs it, sometimes puts it over her face. She has been using it for a long time now and never suffocated! She is 7.5 mos.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2009