How old do you start baby on baby learning>videos, sign language

I was wondering when to start showing my son baby einstien videos and sign language? I think about 6 moths, but what can I do up until then to improve his brain development. He is only a week old now and Im eager to play with him and teach him!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We don't do videos.

I taught my grandson to clap first at about 8 months. That was great because we knew when he liked something or was happy and he knew when we were happy with him. After he understood that I started with other signs. More was the first one. He does it perfect and it is so cute.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Experts are saying that any child under the age of 2 should not be watching any TV of any kind.

However, you can start sign language at any age. The younger the better. Some children of deaf parent's have been known to start using sign as young as 6 months.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Definitely no television-videos.
    You can wear your baby, nurse your baby, and use signs when you interact. Be sure baby is looking in your sight line. Repeat as you use/do these things. Your baby could produce signs next month or anytime!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• There is no need for videos (especially Baby Einstein). You can start using ASL any time. We started at birth. We also started playing with them at birth.

Use ASL, though, not that "baby signing" crap. Some of the signs in that "program" are...let's just say the meanings aren't nice at all if you were to do the baby sign in front of a person who used ASL.
    Anonymous

• We don't use videos, although he does like the Sesame Street music CD which I sing along to while we "dance" around the living room (he's 11 months now). We did start signing around 5 months and he knows some basic signs now (we use whatever sign language I was taught from my son's preschool and I don't know what it is, but it works for us and I would think a deaf person using ASL would understand and not get offended if your baby signs something that to them doesn't seem nice).
    You can read to him starting now, they enjoy just hearing your voice - use books with big bright colors (think Eric Carle). My son started turning the pages really early and will sit and "read" for a long time by himself. Just stimulate him - by going different places, different types of music, different smells. Anytime you are stimulating his senses he's learning. And talk to him about everything!

Answer by missanc at 3:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My son has been looking at the computer learning games since around 3 to 4 mths of age. I looked on the net and keyed up baby learning games and found a lot of websites. He is now 10mths old and has learned to clap and is making b and d sounds. They are like little sponges, just because they cannot talk now doesnt mean they are not learning!
    hicksarmywife

Answer by hicksarmywife at 3:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I don't know if you have this in your area, but we have Parents As Teachers come in once a month and teach us how to help our daughter. It is a program to get parents involved in a child's learning early, because children's brains are ready to learn right away. You might call your school district and see if they have anything like the PAT in your area. It kind of depends on size and funding available as to where it can be found. We love our visits- we learn about dd's development, milestones, games and songs we can do to encourage fun learning. It's like a child development course, only free.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2009