My daughter woke up sick what should i do?

My 2 year old woke up by throwing up with a 100.4 temp and was shaking. She can't get into the dr untill later, gave her motrin so her temp is 100 now but what else should i do?

dragonmomof2

Asked by dragonmomof2 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Give her only clear fluids to eat. She doesn't need motrin. Talk to the office nurse, she doesn't need to see the doctor.

If she is acting OK and is hungry start with small amounts of easy to digest foods.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I am sorry your daughter is sick, hope she is doing better by now.
    I always alternate warm baths with medicine when my children have high fever. Like if the medicine doesn't work and after an hour my child still has high fever, I would give her a bath- keep her in warm water (luke warm kind) for at least 10 minutes. That helps a lot. Also I give a lot of liquids, I use a syringe and give them 5ml each 10-15 minutes (water or juice, and when they have thrown up I use dehydration solution- if you don't have at home, you can prepare it- there are recipes available online, but here is one: 250ml clean water, 2 tbs sugar, 1/4 tbs salt)

hope it helps, blessings
    r_b

Answer by r_b at 1:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Also you can alternate Tylenol with ibuprofen- if you've given your children Tylenol and the temperature is getting high after an hour, you can give ibuprofen, or vice verse; it is safe as they are different and it will not be overdose. This is at least what doctors have told me and what I do. I do not give medication though for fevers 101 F and under, but 104.00 is a high fever and I would for sure give immediately ibuprofen and a bath too. Then i would help my child with fluids.
    r_b

Answer by r_b at 1:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• As stated above me for a high fever (your child's fever isn't high enough to do this yet) you can rotate Tylenol and Motrin, but she is wrong about the 1 hour. You have to wait 4 hours. Tylenol then 4 hours then Motrin, then 4 hours Tylenol, etc.

With the swine flu and your daughter's age I would go to the dr. The symptoms you described could be a virus, but they also are the same symptoms that many LO's are getting with swine flu.

Give lots of fluids while you wait for your dr appointment.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2009