why won't my 17 month old daughter eat?

it is so difficult for me to feed my daughter. she only eats certain foods and what she eats she only takes maybe two or three bites and the next thing i know the plate or the bowl is in the floor.She does drink a lot of milk, and she is not sleeping through the night. she drinks anywhere from 4-5 8oz bottles during the night and it drives me crazy. i try giving her snacks between meals and before she goes to bed but it's not working and she still gets up all night for each one her bottles. im running out of options can someone please help me.

themakingsofme

Asked by themakingsofme at 1:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as she looks well and plays well, I wouldn't worry. She'll eat when she's hungry. I would be careful to offer her ONLY nutritious foods while she is going through this phase, though. No empty calories.

I agree with the PP though--she should be off the bottle by now. I would offer only sippy cups during the day. And to break the bottle at night habit, only give her water in night bottles and gradually wean her. The milk at night can harm her teeth, too. So only water! She might just break herself of the bottle-at-night habit once you start the only water thing.

Maybe you can find some small trainer cups and offer milk 7-8 oz at a time with a nutritious snack. Give her a couple of choices and let her help prep it. Offer her a new food with a fave and put it on her plate more than once. Kids will snub new foods several times before they finally try it.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• At 17 months why is she still on a bottle? Unless you're still feeding her BM, she shouldn't be getting up at night for the bottle. (The only reason I say it is ok with BM is because BM is the best for them anyway.) You should break her of the bottle all together.

Besides that, she could be just going through a phase like that, my DD is the EXACT same way- she'll be 17 months next week, and her pediatrician said it is completely normal and she will eat if/when she is hungry..

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Instead of giving her bottles at night you could try making a snack to help her get the idea of food instead of bottles. It's exhausting but it pays off if she starts getting used to eating real food and eats it during the day instead. Good luck.
    megan-k

Answer by megan-k at 1:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• My son does it too, he just turned 15 months, but he like food he can walk around with like slices of cheese and cereal, and he loves apple slices and he even eats baby carrots with dressing. Just give it time. and about her sleeping try to tire her out in the evening, play games with her, run around the house with her, what ever will exhaust her, it works with my son.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 2:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2009