Should I find out if the h1n1 flu shot is available to me? I'm 38 weeks pregnant

Would it be too late for me to get the shot if i could even find it? Does the baby get protected from swine flu by me getting the shot?

A five month old a few towns over just died that had swine flu, i'm sure the baby had underlying medical issues as well, but its spooky.

Can babies get the shot?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I got the H1N1 flu shot, it would be beneficial because your newborn will be vaccinated for 6 months from you getting it. The shot version is the safe version for pregnant women.

And yes the regular seasonal flu may kill an average of 36,000 a year, but kids and pregnant women are being hit hard and right now they aren't even bothering to test for swine flu because 99% of flu cases right now are in fact swine flu! And even if the number of 10-20 kids dying a week isn't scary enough for some, that's still 10-20 children whose parents would give them the vaccine if they could.

Don't let yourself or your kids be one of those nameless statistics!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• It takes 8-10 days after the shot to be immune, but those immunities do pass on to the baby for about the first 6 months they say.
    megan-k

Answer by megan-k at 1:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• You can get the shot (not the mist), but honestly I would do A LOT more research before getting it. A baby cannot get a flu shot for the first 6 months. My family and I will not be getting it and I do vaccinate my kids.

You know, the regular flu kills more people than this flu has and no one seems to be freaking out about that one. The media hasn't freaked out over it, though, so maybe that's why.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 2:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I wasn't worried about it at all- i know a lot of people in my town who have gotten it and it was a 48 hour FLU- it was a bummer but not serious at all.

But I didn't know the baby would get immunities, and babies are pretty tiny. I don't know- I need to research. My doctor has never even mentioned it
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2009