What MUST HAVE shots/pills/etc. are there for the 1st trimester besides pre-natal vitamins?

I have a 2 year old and just found out 2 weeks ago I'm pregnant again. We were ecstatic! I called my O.B. to make an appt. for my 1st pre-natal visit only to be told that we still owed $672 from the birth of our first child, which I was unaware of. Anyway, they won't see me until it's paid. We barely make our bills each month so I don't think I'll be able to get them paid for a couple of months. I don't want to start over with a new O.B. so I want to just "suck it up" until we can get our regular one paid. I don't remember from our 1st pregnancy any specific shots/pills/etc. that I HAD to have in the first trimester.....soooo, I have bought pre-natal vitamins at the grocery store and am hoping this will suffice until we can get me into my O.B. Was just wondering if my recollection of not needing anything other than the pre-natal vitamins was correct. Anyone who could help out with this answer, I would be grateful!! :)

LRParrish

Asked by LRParrish at 2:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i'm not taking anything other than prenatals or getting any shots.

i am taking a prenatal vitamin and i'm taking rainbow light prenatal once dailies. :)

if you are healthy and eat a healthy diet, you should have to worry about any other meds.
    Anonymous

• Just a pre natal vitamin
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• no, you're good to go..... they just do all the bloodwork and testing and stuff like that, no meds.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• i took my prenatals, and they did the routine blood panel. i didnt get any shots till my 3rd trimester when i had to get rhogam (sp?).
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 3:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I would take the prenatal vitamins and also get some folic acid pills. My Dr has me taking 2 800mg folic acid tablets along with the prenatal vitamins that have 400mg. I was told you can not have too much folic acid.
    amygraves21

Answer by amygraves21 at 3:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• it's true that you can't have too much folic acid. your body will flush out any excess. my prenatal has 800, so i don't take an extra supplement of it.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2009