Hotel/Motel bedding.....is it clean? What is really changed after someone has slept in the beds?

I've been told a few different things.
Only the pillow cases are changed.
Only the fitted sheet is changed.
Only the sheets and pillow cases are changed.
If the sheets and pillow cases look ok, nothing is changed.
The comforters are only cleaned once a year.
The comforters are only cleaned as needed.
Please be honest and tell me.
Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2009 in Travel

• There is nothing you can do about it. Sometimes it is best not to think about things like that. Your alternative is to never stay in a hotel.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• take a black light with you next time and see for yourself
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• OMG already this doesn't sound good? I don't have a black light. And sometimes, not often, but we have to stay at a hotel/motel. What should we do?
    Anonymous

• Take only the minimum stuff you need into the hotel room. I usually take plastic bags or cloth bags that I can wash after. Then when you do get to your destination shower and wash all your "hotel stuff". I bring my own disposable cup to use. Also, remember hand sanitizer is our friend.
    Anonymous

• Yeah get a black light, you can find a small handheld at most pet stores down the ailse with the pet urine sprays, put that on the comforters and you'll see that the nastiest stuff is all over them. As soon as we get into a motel or hotel we remove the comforters trying not to touch them.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• How much would a black light cost? Do you bring your own bedding?
    So all this is true!?
    Anonymous

• I would think that the sheets are washed but the comforters are washed on an as needed basis. I do not let me children touch the comforters and when I pull up the sheets I always fold them over the comforter so I do not come in direct contact with it. In all honesty it is probably way overboard but I cannot help it. I think in all reality it comes to the person who is cleaning your room and their ethics and how well they do their job. I used to bring sheets with me but as my family has expanded and I already have a million other things to pack and we now need three beds it is just to much. I just try to put out of my mind the fact that they might not be clean.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:33 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It depends completely upon what the hotel chooses to do. They're supposed to change all the sheets, but you never know what they actually do. If you use a hotel guide (AAA, etc.), the reviewers that get sent to the hotels are anonymous and DO use a blacklight to check, but that only provides info about what it was like the night the reviewer stayed there. Management can screw up at any time.
    That said, the world isn't clean, so suck it up and stop worrying. Assume if the room looks clean, if the bedding looks clean, it is.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:16 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It really depends on the hotel. Some are sloppy and gross, while others are obsessively clean. Years ago, I worked at a Holiday Inn Express that was extremely clean. The women who ran the housekeeping staff would personally inspect every single room each day to make sure it was up to her very high standards. If she found so much as a hair on the carpet, that housekeeper would be in trouble. We would even take apart the phones to disinfect them. Our policy was to change every bed, every day. Some hotels will put a note on the bed and tell you that to save water, they will only wash bedding when requested by putting the "please change me" card on the bed. One main bit of advice is to never sit on top of the bedspread, because the outer bedding isn't washed nearly as often as the sheets are, and the sheets *should* be getting bleached each time, as well.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Thanks for all you comments, I am not really looking forward to staying in a hotel but.....
    Anonymous